• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simple divorce in NJ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djohnson99

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Here's my situation:
I am close to asking for a divorce and I wanted some information about dividing property (money mostly)
Have been married 4 months. 2 months we lived in a small apartment (renting), 2 months with my parents.
My assets: a car, $30k in savings that I had before the marriage. The car was bought during our marriage but with money I got from a 2 year old car that was totalled.
My debts: $30k in school loans.
Her assets: a car that's half paid off (so I guess it's not hers yet), and about $500.
Her debts: none.

Since we got married we unified our money under one account and added maybe $2000 to it.

We both work full time. She makes about $28k I make $60k.

My questions are: does she get half of what I own even though we've only been married 4 months? If so, does that apply to the money in the bank and the car?

I don't think I'll have to pay allimony or anything but I'm not sure about that either.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

seniorjudge

djohnson99 said:

Here's my situation:
I am close to asking for a divorce and I wanted some information about dividing property (money mostly)
Have been married 4 months. 2 months we lived in a small apartment (renting), 2 months with my parents.
My assets: a car, $30k in savings that I had before the marriage. The car was bought during our marriage but with money I got from a 2 year old car that was totalled.
Her assets: a car that's half paid off (so I guess it's not hers yet), and about $500.

Since we got married we unified our money under one account and added maybe $2000 to it.

My questions are: does she get half of what I own even though we've only been married 4 months? If so, does that apply to the money in the bank and the car?

I don't think I'll have to pay allimony or anything but I'm not sure about that either.

Dan

Google

new jersey pro se divorce

If y'all do not have any real estate and do not have any kids and she is not pregnant, maybe you can do it by yourselves.

LdiJ

djohnson99 said:

Here's my situation:

Dan
Alimony is not an issue with such a short term marriage. Normally property wouldn't even be an issue in such a short term marriage either. Normally each party would walk away with what they brought into the marriage.

However, the fact that you combined your money into one account could throw a spanner into the works. That probably wasn't wise.

Its best if you get yourself a consult with a local attorney. It also may be wise to take your pre-marital savings and put it in a separate account.

djohnson99

Would that be legal? for me to open a separate account, then take my money from our joint account and transfer it there...without her permission?

And wouldn't the judge just say that it was our money regardless what account it's in?

seniorjudge

Q: Would that be legal?

A: Yes, because it is a joint account.

Q: for me to open a separate account, then take my money from our joint account and transfer it there...without her permission?

A: See prior answer.

Q: And wouldn't the judge just say that it was our money regardless what account it's in?

A: Yes; and you will be called to account for the use of every single cent.

djohnson99

so then, what would be the point of puting it in another account?

Could I give it as a gift to my parents? Or pay off my school loans with it?
I just don't want to lose half of it to her when we've only been married 4 months.

Also, what if from now on every cent I make I put in a separate account. Would that money be considered half hers during a divorce as well?

seniorjudge

djohnson99 said:
so then, what would be the point of puting it in another account?

Could I give it as a gift to my parents? Or pay off my school loans with it?
I just don't want to lose half of it to her when we've only been married 4 months.

Also, what if from now on every cent I make I put in a separate account. Would that money be considered half hers during a divorce as well?
I did not tell you to move that money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">