• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone ease my mind on this... Will I get my pet in court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mannnnnyy

First off, I live in Texas.

Please give me some responses soon to (hopefully) put my mind at ease..

So, my parents are going thru a divorce.

A couple years ago our dog passed away. Not more than a few months later my Dad comes home and tells us he got something for us (my sister, mom, and I). We go outside and he opens a small box with a new little puppy. This new dog was a gift to my sister, Mom, and I.

NOW... During this divorce, my Dad says he is going to win the dog in court and the dog will live with him.

My Dad gets ****-faced drunk every single day and just a few nights ago he passed out next to our dogs pee-pad and I took photos of him passed out on the ground. Just in case it helps in court to prove that he is unable to take care of the dog.

Could anyone please tell me that my sister, Mom and I will win our dog in court? We love her so much and he is definitely trying to be hurtful by trying to take her from us.

Silverplum

First off, I live in Texas.

Please give me some responses soon to (hopefully) put my mind at ease..

So, my parents are going thru a divorce.

A couple years ago our dog passed away. Not more than a few months later my Dad comes home and tells us he got something for us (my sister, mom, and I). We go outside and he opens a small box with a new little puppy. This new dog was a gift to my sister, Mom, and I.

NOW... During this divorce, my Dad says he is going to win the dog in court and the dog will live with him.

My Dad gets ****-faced drunk every single day and just a few nights ago he passed out next to our dogs pee-pad and I took photos of him passed out on the ground. Just in case it helps in court to prove that he is unable to take care of the dog.

Could anyone please tell me that my sister, Mom and I will win our dog in court? We love her so much and he is definitely trying to be hurtful by trying to take her from us.
Pets are legally property, andusually are given to the legal owner. Who takes her to the vet? Who adopted her?

Please try to stay out of your parents' divorce: it's not about you kids. ;) Maybe seek counseling at school. :)

Last edited:

mannnnnyy

Pets are legally property, andusually are given to the legal owner. Who takes her to the vet? Who adopted her?

Please try to stay out of your parents' divorce: it's not about you kids. ;) Maybe seek counseling at school. :)
I probably should have mentioned that I'm 20 years old. My sister is 22. We will do anything to get this dog. Even if we didn't win her in court I would break into his place to get her back.

But are you telling me that we probably won't win in court? Again like I said I have photos of him passed out on the floor. And my mom and sister have taken her to the vet but my dad is the one who originally brought her home AS A GIFT to us.

Regardless I will get this dog. But I sure hope we win her the legal way.

Silverplum

I probably should have mentioned that I'm 20 years old. My sister is 22. We will do anything to get this dog. Even if we didn't win her in court I would break into his place to get her back.

But are you telling me that we probably won't win in court? Again like I said I have photos of him passed out on the floor. And my mom and sister have taken her to the vet but my dad is the one who originally brought her home AS A GIFT to us.

Alrighty, then.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Get a new dog. Problem solved.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

You are not a party to the divorce. You won't be granted anything in the court proceedings of the divorce. Offer to buy the dog from your father.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
We have no way of knowing whether the court will award the dog to you or to your mother. It will not be to your or your sister.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Um... yeah. You need therapy.

My legal advice: don't steal.

mannnnnyy

Um... yeah. You need therapy.

My legal advice: don't steal.
Ok cool. Well I'm glad it was quick to see how none of you have a clue what you are talking about.

Not to mention someone commented about whether the dog will be awarded to me or my mom... lol. It's between my Mom and Dad obviously.....

And I need therapy for loving my dog? This dog is part of the family. And my Dad wouldn't be able to take care of her anyways for the fact he gets drunk everyday and he would be working all day long.

Too much stupid in this forum. I'm done.

Proserpina

Ok cool. Well I'm glad it was quick to see how none of you have a clue what you are talking about.

Not to mention someone commented about whether the dog will be awarded to me or my mom... lol. It's between my Mom and Dad obviously.....

And I need therapy for loving my dog? This dog is part of the family. And my Dad wouldn't be able to take care of her anyways for the fact he gets drunk everyday and he would be working all day long.

No honey. You need therapy because for some very odd reason you'd rather risk jail time.

Silverplum

Well, *somebody* has to work. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">