• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone I know wants to divorce from a harmful marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Please edit your post (and don't forget the State) and add the relevant details. Just don't use the Preview function, as it eats posts.

Uva121

For some reason it's not letting me edit my post but my state is Virginia, and it's basically verbal and emotional abuse. He manipulates her and exploits her because he feels like he has the cushy job and can act any way he wants, he is also neglectful with his kids and the one time, literally the one time her family came to visit he ran away to his brothers house leaving her alone with the kids without a warning for almost two days and I can see she's getting extremely fed up and it's taking a toll on her, and she's hesitant to make a move because she's worried about her kids and I just want some advice as to how she could leave him with minimal damage.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
For some reason it's not letting me edit my post but my state is Virginia, and it's basically verbal and emotional abuse. He manipulates her and exploits her because he feels like he has the cushy job and can act any way he wants, he is also neglectful with his kids and the one time, literally the one time her family came to visit he ran away to his brothers house leaving her alone with the kids without a warning for almost two days and I can see she's getting extremely fed up and it's taking a toll on her, and she's hesitant to make a move because she's worried about her kids and I just want some advice as to how she could leave him with minimal damage.
It's generally best for the person involved to make their own account, as third-parties rarely have all the necessary information. That said, what kind of "damage" are you referring to? Because she can file for divorce, (with or without an attorney), and there will most likely be a custody battle. Divorces can be time-consuming, expensive, and emotionally draining. Unless both parties are extremely mature and focused on what's best for the kids, rarely are damages minimal.

Uva121

Damage as in for the kids, and that makes sense, I was just curious about the options. Thank you for the advice.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Wow. Left alone with family and her two kids for two days??? She's going to have a tough time as a custodial parent...

Seriously - she needs to decide for herself what she wants to do. And develop a game plan. How old are their kids?

LdiJ

Wow. Left alone with family and her two kids for two days??? She's going to have a tough time as a custodial parent...

Seriously - she needs to decide for herself what she wants to do. And develop a game plan. How old are their kids?
Until you said that, I had taken that part as purely a comment on the rudeness of bailing on his inlaw's visit. However if she cannot handle her family (who would be considered a help rather than a hindrance in most cases) and her children at the same time, then there is more wrong than the OP realizes.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Until you said that, I had taken that part as purely a comment on the rudeness of bailing on his inlaw's visit. However if she cannot handle her family (who would be considered a help rather than a hindrance in most cases) and her children at the same time, then there is more wrong than the OP realizes.
LOL My ex would bail when HIS mother came to visit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">