• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son needs advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlh68

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My son and his wife of 3 years have recently returned to the states after my son was discharged from the Military. They have since relocated to Oregon.

My daughter-in-law has a history of erratic behavior a few times in the past but my son has always forgiven her, taken her back, and things are good for awhile. They have no children.

The following information is from my son and two independent witnesses (one neighbor and an Army buddy)

Last Sunday night, my DIL and her long-time friend went out drinking and came home very drunk around 3:00 a.m. They then started to leave again and my son told her she wasn't going anywhere because she was too drunk to drive. Her friend got in his face and he told her to get out of his apartment. That is when my DIL attacked. She jumped on his back, scratching, biting, hitting him with her fists, and her heeled shoes. When she finished, he didn't try to stop her from leaving and called 911. The police showed, determined that he had indeed been assaulted and went looking for her. They found her car, not her. She apparently ran out of gas not far from their home.

She and her friend also threatened to come back and kill him as they were leaving.

The next day, she had him removed from their joint checking and savings account and cleaned out the accounts (his military separation pay included,) then cancelled his car insurance, had his phone shut off... the list goes on.

He then called to see about pressing assault charges only to learn that the responding officer had to be the one to do so and he doesn't come on duty until Sunday (yesterday) at 11:30 p.m. so my son left him a voice mail to get back to him. He never did. This is now going on one week.

During this week, the DIL has returned to the apartment once with two friends and completely trashed the place then left. The police were called again, said there was nothing they could do about that since they are both on the lease and married.

She comes back again at 4 a.m. with her friend, beating on the door, drunk, screaming through the door that he better let her in or she was going to "beat his a__" again. He didn't let her in, called the police, they came and told her to leave. One of the officers responding was also with the original officer that came for the assault. They made the girls leave and then as soon as the police left, the girls came back. Son called the police again, they came right back and told them if they didn't leave and not come back tonight, the girls were going to jail.

She is still calling him and making threats. The police station is telling him there is nothing he can do until the original responding officer makes contact with him. Is this right? She is calling him numerous times, making threats...

My son's friend just called me and they were at the court house, trying to get a protection order against her and her friend, and file for legal separation at the same time. Next, they are going back to the police station to see if they can press charges without having to wait for the responding officer.

Their stimulus check also came and when she and her friends trashed the apartment, she took the check. She told my son she has already cashed it and there is nothing he can do about it, he's getting nothing. Can she do that? My understanding was that joint or not, if both names are on a federal check, BOTH have to sign the check to cash it.

Every time she has one of these episodes, she is more violent, they last longer, and now my son has had enough. We think she may also be doing drugs. We know she is drinking heavily.

While they were overseas, my son and 3 of his friends (one of those friends is the buddy that is currently here and witnessed this last episode) had to physically drag her out of a bowling alley more than once kicking, screaming, and fighting them because she was so out of control.

Is there anything missing? What should he do next? Immediate replies would be extremely helpful and very much appreciated.

Thanks

He should document everything taken, take pictures of any damage, get all his banking records together, check his credit report, cancel all joint credit cards, get copies of all the police reports, press the assault charges, get a TRO, file for DIVORCE...not legal separation! Talk to an attorney ASAP...don't attempt all this on his own...and stay away from this woman.

LdiJ

He should document everything taken, take pictures of any damage, get all his banking records together, check his credit report, cancel all joint credit cards, get copies of all the police reports, press the assault charges, get a TRO, file for DIVORCE...not legal separation! Talk to an attorney ASAP...don't attempt all this on his own...and stay away from this woman.
And get the landlord to change the locks on the apartment. Obviously safety has to come first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">