• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Soon to be divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kohiga1

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Texas, My soon to be x-wife of 5 years left me in a bind in a couple of things. Wondering if you can help out? First, my father loan her a car (car under my father’s name) before we separated and I was wondering if it was possible to retrieve it from her without getting in to a legal battle? Second, before we separated she decided to put all the credit cards (4) in her name to build up her credit score except for one where I’m in there as a secondary account holder (which happens to be the least of them all $1200.00); how will this affect me legally in a divorce and my credit in the present and future?
I appreciate your time and effort on this and beg you to forgive me for my ignorance on this basic questions, can’t change the past but I would just at least like to do this things right.

Last edited:

LdiJ

kohiga1 said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Texas, My soon to be x-wife of 5 years left me in a bind in a couple of things. Wondering if you can help out? First, my father loan her a car (car under my father’s name) before we separated and I was wondering if it was possible to retrieve it from her without getting in to a legal battle? Second, before we separated she decided to put all the credit cards (4) in her name to build up her credit score except for one where I’m in there as a secondary account holder (which happens to be the least of them all $1200.00); how will this affect me legally in a divorce and my credit in the present and future?
I appreciate your time and effort on this and beg you to forgive me for my ignorance on this basic questions, can’t change the past but I would just at least like to do this things right.
Your father can simply go get the car. Its his property.

As far as the debt is concerned, you are going to be held responsible for half by the judge. It doesn't matter whose name its in. However, any account that doesn't have your name on it, will be unlikely to effect your credit report.

kohiga1

Thanks Ldij, but that brings up another ?. At what point will she be held responsible for future payments on the credit cards? I'm willing to be reasonable, but she still spends so much time shopping with those credit cards with no income to reduce the debt the she already owes. What can I do to pay what's reasonable not something that went beyond our time together? Thanks for letting me pick at ur brain! Or anyone else, that can help me in my dilema.

Last edited:

LdiJ

kohiga1 said:
Thanks Ldij, but that brings up another ?. At what point will she be held responsible for future payments on the credit cards? I'm willing to be reasonable, but she still spends so much time shopping with those credit cards with no income to reduce the debt the she already owes. What can I do to pay what's reasonable not something that went beyond our time together? Thanks for letting me pick at ur brain! Or anyone else, that can help me in my dilema.
You need to get the paperwork for the divorce started, and you need to get the amount of the joint debt established.

kohiga1

soon to be divorce

thanks again LdiJ
BUT if my understanding of texas law is correct, it takes a minimum of two months to get an actual divorce fully process. And that's assuming that everything works ideally, is there anything I can do in the meantime giving the fact that those credit cards are under her name. Appreciate the advice and help, just tired of bailing out my x in her wild spending sprees, her unfaithfulness and I don't want to help her financially in her explotation of the credit cards.

LdiJ

kohiga1 said:
thanks again LdiJ
BUT if my understanding of texas law is correct, it takes a minimum of two months to get an actual divorce fully process. And that's assuming that everything works ideally, is there anything I can do in the meantime giving the fact that those credit cards are under her name. Appreciate the advice and help, just tired of bailing out my x in her wild spending sprees, her unfaithfulness and I don't want to help her financially in her explotation of the credit cards.
Getting the divorce process started and establishing the current debt level on the credit cards gives you a basis of debt to work with. Argued properly, a judge would be likely to hold you responsible only for 1/2 of the debt at the time that you filed.

Its likely that its in your best interest to hire an attorney.

kohiga1

Thanks LdiJ, you've giving me some sound advice. Thanks for pushing me in the right direction, hopefully I'll get ahead of the ball game and make the best of the situation. If there is any other input or suggestions to any of my other questions I would be happy to take'em from anyone. LdiJ :)

Bali Hai

LdiJ said:
You need to get the paperwork for the divorce started, and you need to get the amount of the joint debt established.
And in the meantime DO NOT make ANY payments on the credit cards soley in her name.

You will be responsible for 1/2 the debit but when it goes to collection, her @ss is in the fire with the credit reporting agencies, not yours.

kohiga1

Bali Hai said:
And in the meantime DO NOT make ANY payments on the credit cards soley in her name.

You will be responsible for 1/2 the debit but when it goes to collection, her @ss is in the fire with the credit reporting agencies, not yours.
K, that makes sense Bali Hai :) is there way I can cancel the credit cards or a procedure that were it's legal for me to talk to the credit card co.'s and telling them about my situation? :confused: THANKS BALI HAI!

Bali Hai

kohiga1 said:
K, that makes sense Bali Hai :) is there way I can cancel the credit cards or a procedure that were it's legal for me to talk to the credit card co.'s and telling them about my situation? :confused: THANKS BALI HAI!
You can't cancel, get any or give any information on the credit cards soley in her name.

And frankly they don't give a damn about your situation. They are interested in making money only.

kohiga1

Text message INQUIRY

Bali Hai said:
You can't cancel, get any or give any information on the credit cards soley in her name.

And frankly they don't give a damn about your situation. They are interested in making money only.
DANG! I guess you live and learn, huh? Well I’m most appreciative of the insight you’ve giving on this subject.
But let me throw this side question at you. I know for a fact that my wife was sending text messages to her significant other for quite some time, is it possible to have access to those text messages via her mobile phone co. (if I’m not mistaken, this issue came up in the Kobe Bryant case and they manage to do so) so I can prove her infidelity in court? If I’m in the wrong forum to ask this question, can you please direct me to the right one?
:confused: :confused:

LdiJ

kohiga1 said:
DANG! I guess you live and learn, huh? Well I’m most appreciative of the insight you’ve giving on this subject.
But let me throw this side question at you. I know for a fact that my wife was sending text messages to her significant other for quite some time, is it possible to have access to those text messages via her mobile phone co. (if I’m not mistaken, this issue came up in the Kobe Bryant case and they manage to do so) so I can prove her infidelity in court? If I’m in the wrong forum to ask this question, can you please direct me to the right one?
:confused: :confused:
Her infidelity is going to basically be irrelevant to your divorce. Therefore there is no reason to "prove" it.

kohiga1

LdiJ said:
Her infidelity is going to basically be irrelevant to your divohttps://forum.freeadvice.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1197957#
Smilierce. Therefore there is no reason to "prove" it.
I'll take your word on this one and won't ask why since you seem to know what your talking about LdiJ, BUTTTT.... is it still possible to have those Text Messages in hand as psychological AHA to weaken her stance in court or in my social community where she denies the facts? (sorry for the long question)

LdiJ

kohiga1 said:
I'll take your word on this one and won't ask why since you seem to know what your talking about LdiJ, BUTTTT.... is it still possible to have those Text Messages in hand as psychological AHA to weaken her stance in court or in my social community where she denies the facts? (sorry for the long question)
Basically no. You can't get them without a subpeona, and you can't get a subpeona without a valid legal purpose. However, if its really important to you, then you can double check that with your attorney.

kohiga1

LdiJ said:
Basically no. You can't get them without a subpeona, and you can't get a subpeona without a valid legal purpose. However, if its really important to you, then you can double check that with your attorney.
Aight! I'll see if I can, but the way u stated it seems that it's not probable. Oh well :rolleyes: , hopefully my attorney will dig in his bag of tricks and come up with something. Just that she gave me a pounding, and wanted to return the favor :D . You know what they say "revenge is a bitch", anyways thanks for your quick response and if there is anything else someone can submit I'm all ears. :) :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">