• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Soon to be Ex-Wife Won't Help Pay Mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rroman1988

baton rouge, Louisiana

My wife and I are separated, on the fast track to being divorced. She moved out after a verbal agreement to stay until the house was fixed and it was sold. She then called me out of the blue sky and said that she was going to stop her half of the mortgage payments, knowing that I can't keep up with the payments on my own.

Her name is on the mortgage and deed to the house. Is she legally responsible to keep up with her payments as well? Is there any way I can take her to court to force her to continue payments?

Silverplum

baton rouge, Louisiana

My wife and I are separated, on the fast track to being divorced. She moved out after a verbal agreement to stay until the house was fixed and it was sold. She then called me out of the blue sky and said that she was going to stop her half of the mortgage payments, knowing that I can't keep up with the payments on my own.

Her name is on the mortgage and deed to the house. Is she legally responsible to keep up with her payments as well? Is there any way I can take her to court to force her to continue payments?
Maybe your girlfriend pissed her off?

mistoffolees

baton rouge, Louisiana

Yes, you could ask for a temporary order for each party to pay 1/2 of the cost of keeping the house. However, if you're already on the 'fast track', then that may take longer than just proceeding with the divorce.

Silverplum

My reference:
baton rouge, Louisiana

My soon to be ex-wife and I are currently separated, getting divorced. Her marital indiscretions (multiple and often, but with no solid proof other than her word in telling me and other vast amounts of circumstantial evidence) are the backbone of why I am leaving her, among other things.

Since deciding on the divorce, which was her idea, I have became involved with a close friend. We are moving in together after the divorce is finalized. She has known about this the entire time and even gave her blessing. Now that the divorce is proceeding she is saying that she is going for sole custody of the children based upon the fact that she does not want my children to be around my close friend when I am not home. I have had background checks done on her, and otherwise known her for two years. Can she indeed do this?
https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/can-girlfriend-make-me-lose-my-kids-553469.html

rroman1988

Such concern touches me.

the fact that you are following my story, and your concern for my personal affairs has touched me beyond words. you're the epitome of what a concerned human being is and the fact that you have taken such a deep seeded interest in my life will leave a mark on my soul from here on out and has increased my faith in all other people.

to answer your concerns, my friend turned girlfriend has raised the ire of my soon-to-be-ex-wife. Sadly, though, this is the way of things. We all hope, as you do too apparently, that she soon comes to terms with the separation and everything to come here after.

Thank you so much for your concern and interest in my life. My God bless you and all your endeavors. And though your tag at the end of all your posts says, "Not generally known for sensitivity... ", I assure you, your heart of gold is as clear as day.

Last edited:

Silverplum

Yup. I knew it -- girlfriend spoiled your good deal with your X.

;) :cool:

the fact that you are following my story, and your concern for my person affairs has touched me beyond words. you're the epitome of what a concerned human being is and the fact that you have taken such a deep seeded interest in my life will leave a mark on my soul from here on out and has increased my faith in all other people.

to answer your concerns, my friend turned girlfriend has raised the ire of my soon-to-be-ex-wife. Sadly, though, this is the way of things. We all hope, as you do too apparently, that she soon comes to terms with the separation and everything to come here after.

Thank you so much for your concern and interest in my life. My God bless you and all your endeavors. And though your tag at the end of all your posts says, "Not generally known for sensitivity... ", I assure you, your heart of gold is as clear as day.

nextwife

If GF IS, in fact, residing there, should she not be contributing toward the mtg payments? After all, she'd have needed to pay wherever she moved out from . . I mean, I always expected my roommates to pay their fair share.

Last edited:

rroman1988

Girlfriend isn't living with me yet.

My girlfriend is living in her own apartment, and I am still residing in the house where me and my wife lived. She does not want to move into the house, nor do I want her to, specifically not to agitate my ex-wife. Though the whole point of this post is unnecessary now since I'm finding a buyer for the house and it is no longer a headache I have to worry about.

Thank you all for your concern, especially silverplum, that gold-hearted individual.

Silverplum

My girlfriend is living in her own apartment, and I am still residing in the house where me and my wife lived. She does not want to move into the house, nor do I want her to, specifically not to agitate my ex-wife. Though the whole point of this post is unnecessary now since I have found a buyer for the house and it is no longer a headache I have to worry about.

Thank you all for your concern, especially silverplum, that gold-hearted individual.
I'd call it the OG Effect, but this time, I truly believe it's the SP Effect!

;)

mistoffolees

My girlfriend is living in her own apartment, and I am still residing in the house where me and my wife lived. She does not want to move into the house, nor do I want her to, specifically not to agitate my ex-wife. Though the whole point of this post is unnecessary now since I'm finding a buyer for the house and it is no longer a headache I have to worry about.
The legal answer is given above. In general, if there is no court order, she can't be made to pay. She will, however, ruin her own credit rating if the bills aren't paid. Furthermore, if you're paying for a long enough time that it affects the equity in the home, you can ask that she not get any of the increase in equity during the time that you were paying all the expenses. No guarantee that the court will go along, but that's reasonable.

Meanwhile, look at it from stbx's viewpoint. You got a new GF while you are still married. That's wrong by just about any standard. You're moving on with your life, so your wife expects you to do it without her assistance. I can't say that I blame her (other than the credit rating part).

Silverplum

The legal answer is given above. In general, if there is no court order, she can't be made to pay. She will, however, ruin her own credit rating if the bills aren't paid. Furthermore, if you're paying for a long enough time that it affects the equity in the home, you can ask that she not get any of the increase in equity during the time that you were paying all the expenses. No guarantee that the court will go along, but that's reasonable.

Meanwhile, look at it from stbx's viewpoint. You got a new GF while you are still married. That's wrong by just about any standard. You're moving on with your life, so your wife expects you to do it without her assistance. I can't say that I blame her (other than the credit rating part).
Ooooh, Misto is a big ol' meanie, too!

;)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Ya think?

OP - ya wanna play, expect to be payin' for it. Don't know why your wife's reaction shocks you. Or why you're so offended by anyone pointing out the obvious.

As I tell my kids - finish one relationship before you start another.

nextwife

So find a short term roommate.

That's what I did when I had a mortgage to cover and less money than I would have liked available to pay it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">