• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Source of funds" rule for property division

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

samserif

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I'm trying to understand the "source of funds" rule for property division in Maryland. I understand the classification of marital and nonmarital property, and I also understand the basic principle behind the rule, but I'm not sure of the calculation and an example would be extremely helpful.

For example, suppose that I came into the marriage with a house valued at $300,000 with a mortgage of $250,000. During the marriage the value of the house rises to $600,000 and the mortgage is reduced to $225,000. My understanding is that the percentage of the house that's considered nonmarital is $50k/($50k + $25k) = 66.7%, which is the ratio of the nonmarital contribution ($50k) to the total contribution ($75k). The nonmarital portion of the equity (which is would be $600k - $225k = $375k) would be 66.7% times the equity, or $250,000, and the marital portion would be the remainder, $125,000.

Is this right?What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I'm trying to understand the "source of funds" rule for property division in Maryland. I understand the classification of marital and nonmarital property, and I also understand the basic principle behind the rule, but I'm not sure of the calculation and an example would be extremely helpful.

For example, suppose that I came into the marriage with a house valued at $300,000 with a mortgage of $250,000. During the marriage the value of the house rises to $600,000 and the mortgage is reduced to $225,000. My understanding is that the percentage of the house that's considered nonmarital is $50k/($50k + $25k) = 66.7%, which is the ratio of the nonmarital contribution ($50k) to the total contribution ($75k). The nonmarital portion of the equity (which is would be $600k - $225k = $375k) would be 66.7% times the equity, or $250,000, and the marital portion would be the remainder, $125,000.

Is this right?What is the name of your state?
I have absolutely no idea if that is right or not. I am not familiar with the Maryland "source of funds" rule that you are talking about.

However, the way that I would normally calculate the marital interest in a home, would be much simpler than that. If there was 50k equity before the marriage, and 375k equity after the marriage, then I would say that the marital equity would be 375k - 50k = 325k.

nextwife

Depends upon whether marital funds were being used to make the mortgage payments. If he used premarital, or non-marital funds (example, trust fund money), then the results may be different.

samserif

Thanks!

I've found many descriptions and examples of the Brandenburg rule, which is used in Virginia and some other states to divide property into marital-vs-nonmarital portions, but Maryland's source of funds rule is apparently different.

I've gotten two quick, confusing, and different explanations from two different Maryland lawyers, and when I asked each of them for written references that I could sit back and ponder until I was clear -- well, I didn't get any, nor could I find any examples after extensive online searches. I'd prefer to find an example online rather than paying a lawyer $350/hour to tutor me on what ought to be straightforward calculations.

And yes, the funds used during the marriage would be wages earned and thus considered marital funds. Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">