• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Special circumstances

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexa999

special case in californaiWhat is the name of your state?California:
In 2001,I got married to a man while he was incarcerated in a county jail in North Carolina. Therefore, we've never lived together as husband and wife.He was later transported back to Colorado to serve some time there in the state prison. I moved to California the following year.We've had very little contact,with one of them being a divorce petition he sent to me which I signed. But he never went through with the rest of the procedure. Since then, he has been released, and I have no way of contacting him. Can I file "abandonment" or SOMETHING? We don't have children or property or any issues of the sort.

LdiJ

alexa999 said:
special case in californaiWhat is the name of your state?California:
In 2001,I got married to a man while he was incarcerated in a county jail in North Carolina. Therefore, we've never lived together as husband and wife.He was later transported back to Colorado to serve some time there in the state prison. I moved to California the following year.We've had very little contact,with one of them being a divorce petition he sent to me which I signed. But he never went through with the rest of the procedure. Since then, he has been released, and I have no way of contacting him. Can I file "abandonment" or SOMETHING? We don't have children or property or any issues of the sort.
You can file for divorce and serve him via publication. It would be wisest and easiest to use an attorney for the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">