• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spendthrift Spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Breezin'

Minnesota: My wife and I have always had separate credit cards and checking accounts, which makes it hard to monitor the other person. I am a "pay as you go" person, she is a "charge it and pay later" type. Three previous times, my wife has run up her credit cards to several thousand dollars, I discover the debts, we get into a big argument, and I transfer the balances to our home equity line and eventually pay them off. Last week I discovered that the total on her cards was about $15,000. I nearly died. Then I found out her bank account is overdrawn by about $3000. The confrontation got heated and now she wants a divorce.

My questions: Am I 50% liable for these charges on her personal cards? If so, am I supposed to run up my charges to "get even" (which I would never do)? Also, how am I supposed to protect myself from further damage? Can I get some sort of a restraining order for her while this divorce process unfolds? She is extremely depressed, vindictive, and likely to try to inflict financial damage on both of us.

Please respond, as Christmas is around the corner...woe is me!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">