• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal eviction Can this happen!!??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

riotgrrl5k

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

My cousin has been married for a year now. She was intoxicated and ran over her husband's leg and broke it. No charges were pressed. He sued her insurance company and got a settlement. They purchased some land and a mobile home, but it was put solely in her name. Recently, she told her husband she was going to the store and didn't return for three days. His leg is still broken and he went to stay with HER grandmother for one night, because he can't get around. He returned to their house and she was there with her ex-boyfriend. Now, she's trying to make him leave their home, and of course, he won't. She's trying to get a temporary restraining order to evict him. She's my family, but I believe morally it's wrong what she is doing. Is it legal for her to do this? Also, she has a daughter, who is 7 years old in foster care. Her daughter has been in foster care for more than half of her life, because her mother, my cousin, has been incarcerate for various reasons. My cousin is trying to get custody of her daughter yet again, and has coached her to say that she is scared of her stepfather to get him out of their home to move her ex-boyfriend in. What is the law?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The law is that it is marital property. The law is that her husband most likely should NOT have gotten away with suing HER insurance company for her crime. The law is she should have been arrested for running him over with the car. The law is that she cannot evict him -- she has to go through family court. He is entitled to half of the marital property including equity in any property purchased during the marriage. And ten to one he would be able to get alimony from your cousin.

Who sounds like a real piece of work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">