• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal right or law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Drummin

W is the name of your state? Wisconsin
Can a spouse come into the home you once had together even though she moved out and has 99.9% of her stuff and there are no kids involved. She claims by law she can come to the house anytime. We do have pets that she wants to see .

V

velbing

spousal right or law?

Need more info. A lot depends on how long she has been gone and whether you rent or own your home.
Short term solution: Change the locks.

P

Pam Quigley

I do not know about your state. I live in North Carolina and was faced with the same dilema - hubby moved out - he, however, doesn't come back or anything, but I wanted to know my rights anyhow. I called the local police who told me that once he moved out he was no longer able to just come in any time he wanted, he gave up that right the minute he moved his belongings out. I ended up changing the locks eventually, just for piece of mind. I have found that the police can be a good source of free advice like that instead of always calling an attorney and possibly risk getting a bill for their services!! Again, I do not know the law from state to state.

V

velbing

spousal right or law?

i guess it depends on whether you live in a Community Property State or not. WI is , I don't know about NC. In WI, if you own the house jointly, she has every right to enter unless you petition for and are granted temporary orders. This sets the guidelines that both parties are bound to until the separation or divorce is granted. If you rent, it may be as simple as having her name removed from the lease w/ consent of the landlord. Whaever the case may be, if you are certain there is no chance for a reconciliation, I would urge you to file for either a divorce or separation asap.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">