• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal Support/Annulment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dperez

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Does an annulment from my ex spouse terminates her spousal support portion of my retirement pay?

mistoffolees

Who granted the annulment? What do the court orders state?
I'm still trying to get past the 'spousal support portion of retirement pay' part.

The only way that she would have any portion of his retirement pay is if it were awarded to her in a divorce - but if they had a divorce, they wouldn't be getting an annulment (at least, not a legal annulment - it could be a religious one which wouldn't have any impact on the retirement pay issue, anyway). But in a divorce, it would be very unusual to get spousal support from retirement pay. Usually, division of retirement is considered a property division issue, not a spousal support issue.

It will be interesting to get the details on this one.

LdiJ

I'm still trying to get past the 'spousal support portion of retirement pay' part.

The only way that she would have any portion of his retirement pay is if it were awarded to her in a divorce - but if they had a divorce, they wouldn't be getting an annulment (at least, not a legal annulment - it could be a religious one which wouldn't have any impact on the retirement pay issue, anyway). But in a divorce, it would be very unusual to get spousal support from retirement pay. Usually, division of retirement is considered a property division issue, not a spousal support issue.

It will be interesting to get the details on this one.
It may be military retirement pay...however if that is the case then they had to have been married at least 10 years during his active duty, so an annulment makes no sense there.

He needs to explain better...we cannot answer questions in a vacumn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">