• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal Support til Remarry - common law count?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hunker

Been divorced now for 2 years in Colorado. My agreement says I pay spousal support for 4 years or until she remarries.

She has been living with someone (that makes more than I do) for 6 months now. They have shopped for rings. At the end of this school year they are going to move (with my 2 daughters) from 1 mile away to 2 hours away - from the house I brought and gave her to a house to he will buy I imagine.

Do I have any grounds to stop paying spousal support because of their common law marriage? :confused:

I'm flat broke largely because of the payments I agreed to and could use the money - that's why I'm on FreeAdvice.com :rolleyes:

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!! Help!

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Been divorced now for 2 years in Colorado. My agreement says I pay spousal support for 4 years or until she remarries.

She has been living with someone (that makes more than I do) for 6 months now. They have shopped for rings. At the end of this school year they are going to move (with my 2 daughters) from 1 mile away to 2 hours away - from the house I brought and gave her to a house to he will buy I imagine.

Do I have any grounds to stop paying spousal support because of their common law marriage? :confused:

I'm flat broke largely because of the payments I agreed to and could use the money - that's why I'm on FreeAdvice.com :rolleyes:

How do you figure they are common law married? Are you going to object to the move of your daughters? Living together does not a common law marriage make. Are they filing taxes together as married? Are they purchasing the home they are moving to as married? What proof do you have that they are common law married?

Bali Hai

Common Law Marriage
Colorado is one of about a dozen states remaining which recognizes a common law marriage, or a marriage without formal ceremonies. There is no hard and fast rule as to what constitutes a Colorado common law marriage, nor even one law which directly covers it. Rather, C.R.S. 14-2-104(3), part of the law which establishes the requirements for a Colorado marriage, simply states: "Nothing in this section shall be deemed to repeal or render invalid any otherwise valid common law marriage between one man and one woman."

It is up to the Colorado divorce Courts, with more than a hundred years of legal decisions to draw on, to determine whether Colorado will recognize that a common law marriage exists. The standard Colorado courts have outlined is that a common law marriage in Colorado requires that the couple:

Cohabitate,
Mutually agree to be married, and
Openly hold themselves out to the public as married.
Because proof can be complicated, unless both parties agree that they had a common law marriage in Colorado, they will inevitably need the assistance of a Colorado divorce or family law attorney who knows Colorado common law divorce issues.

Colorado finally introduced an age-limit for common law marriages in 2006. Per C.R.S. 14-1-109.5, the parties to the marriage must be at least 18 years-old.

Factors for Determining Colorado Common Law Marriage
Though living together (cohabitation) is required, no specific duration is necessary. This means that a couple which is clearly girlfriend/boyfriend could live together for 20 years without creating a common law marriage in Colorado. However, a relationship where the couple hold themselves out as married and intend actually to be married could be considered a marriage in a relatively short time. Here is a non-exclusive list of factors Colorado divorce courts look at when determining whether a common law marriage exists:

Whether the couple refer to themselves as married to third parties,
Filing joint federal or state tax returns,
Listing the other party as a spouse on insurance forms or retirement plans,
Joint finances, such as bank accounts, or owning property, and
The woman taking the man's surname.
No one factor is paramount, but typically claiming the other party as a "spouse" simply to gain a private economic advantage (health insurance, joint gym membership, etc), while potentially fraudulent, is not usually sufficient to establish a common law marriage in Colorado. A Colorado common law marriage is not simply living together or a casual relationship - it means the couple tells everyone they are married. Filing joint tax returns is widely regarded as the most important of these factors, since it means the couple is holding themselves out to the government, under penalty of perjury, as being married.

Spouses in a Colorado common law marriage enjoy all of the benefits of being married, in Colorado, other states, or in the eyes of the federal government, including the military. However, to prevent fraud, some institutions require proof of the common law marriage, either by showing joint tax returns, or filling out an affidavit swearing that a couple is married.

Plan on paying the alimony that you agreed to!!

mistoffolees

They are looking for rings and planning a marriage, so they don't consider themselves married - which is a requirement for common law marriage, at least in your state. So, no, you can't stop paying.

You COULD go to court to ask the judge to terminate alimony on the basis of a significant change in circumstances (her living with someone who has a good income) so spousal support is no longer married. I can't even guess how the judge would rule.

I'd be much more concerned about moving the children 2 hours away (maybe that's just me). Does your divorce decree say anything on the subject? If not, you could go to court to ask the judge to now allow the move because it deprives you of parenting time. Of course, this would only work if you've been active in the children's lives all along. Many agreements also say that she can't have overnight guests, so check your agreement. If it says no overnight guests and they're living together, you can request a change in custody on that basis.

hunker

Thanks so much for the help

I wasn't trying to claim to know that they are common law married. I was more trying to understand if I have grounds to claim they are. Thanks for the very helpful information on Common Law Marriages.

Since her and I don't talk and we don't have common friends anymore, it's hard for me to know if they are representing themselves as married or not. And, I've only heard from my kids that they went shopping for rings a couple times.

It sounds like it will be difficult to impossible to prove this.

There was an interesting comment about my financial situation changing. I have slowly been going deeper in debt because I signed up for too much support. I'm brown-bagging it and wearing clothes from 4 years ago - so, I'm not exactly living the high-life. I wonder if me being close to bankruptcy is a better argument for changing my support?

mistoffolees

I wasn't trying to claim to know that they are common law married. I was more trying to understand if I have grounds to claim they are. Thanks for the very helpful information on Common Law Marriages.

Since her and I don't talk and we don't have common friends anymore, it's hard for me to know if they are representing themselves as married or not. And, I've only heard from my kids that they went shopping for rings a couple times.

It sounds like it will be difficult to impossible to prove this.

There was an interesting comment about my financial situation changing. I have slowly been going deeper in debt because I signed up for too much support. I'm brown-bagging it and wearing clothes from 4 years ago - so, I'm not exactly living the high-life. I wonder if me being close to bankruptcy is a better argument for changing my support?
You can typically only get a change in support if there is a significant change in circumstances. If you lose your job or have a cut in pay. Or if she gets a new job with lots higher income. Or a number of other events beyond your control. If there has been no major change in circumstances, it's probably a waste of time trying to get support reduced.

Bali Hai

You can typically only get a change in support if there is a significant change in circumstances. If you lose your job or have a cut in pay. Or if she gets a new job with lots higher income. Or a number of other events beyond your control. If there has been no major change in circumstances, it's probably a waste of time trying to get support reduced.
There would be a better chance of hell freezing over before she even TRIED to get a better job to support herself!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">