• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse Eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mckey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
I have reached a state of non-reconciliation with my wife. I purchased and solely own the house in which we are living. My wife also owns a house that she purchased before we wed. Both houses are located about 5 miles away. Her house is not under any lease agreement, so she can move in anytime she wants.

Lately I suggested that we separated, and that she could move to her house during the separation. She refused and told me to move out of my house. I would gladly do that, but unfortunately, I have been paying all mortgage and bills alone (for as long as I met her) and I can barely save any money on the side. I think she is trying to hurt me for asking a separation, but yet makes our marriage life miserable.

Is there a legal way she could be ordered to move out and go to her house while I stay at my house? I am considering advices from an attorney, but I wanted to hear from you guys first.

Important: We have a one year old girl that I love dearly.

Best regards.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
I have reached a state of non-reconciliation with my wife. I purchased and solely own the house in which we are living. My wife also owns a house that she purchased before we wed. Both houses are located about 5 miles away. Her house is not under any lease agreement, so she can move in anytime she wants.

Lately I suggested that we separated, and that she could move to her house during the separation. She refused and told me to move out of my house. I would gladly do that, but unfortunately, I have been paying all mortgage and bills alone (for as long as I met her) and I can barely save any money on the side. I think she is trying to hurt me for asking a separation, but yet makes our marriage life miserable.

Is there a legal way she could be ordered to move out and go to her house while I stay at my house? I am considering advices from an attorney, but I wanted to hear from you guys first.

Important: We have a one year old girl that I love dearly.

Best regards.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If you really love your daughter dearly, you'd better work on negotiating things with your wife rather than making everything adversarial.

The answer is that you can not force her to leave. Other than simply waiting for the divorce, your only option is to file for divorce and then petition the judge for temporary possession of the marital residence. If she has another suitable house only 5 miles away and you don't have anywhere else to live, that sounds (at least based on the limited information you provided) like a reasonable request. But you need to go through the appropriate mechanism - file for divorce, then petition for possession.

If the two of you have 2 houses and a child, you should probably see an attorney at once. It's not worth risking everything on a public forum.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If you really love your daughter dearly, you'd better work on negotiating things with your wife rather than making everything adversarial.

The answer is that you can not force her to leave. Other than simply waiting for the divorce, your only option is to file for divorce and then petition the judge for temporary possession of the marital residence. If she has another suitable house only 5 years away and you don't have anywhere else to live, that sounds (at least based on the limited information you provided) like a reasonable request. But you need to go through the appropriate mechanism - file for divorce, then petition for possession.

If the two of you have 2 houses and a child, you should probably see an attorney at once. It's not worth risking everything on a public forum.
Can I borrow your time machine? I would love to go to the Year 3000. ;)

The rest of it makes sense.

mistoffolees

Can I borrow your time machine? I would love to go to the Year 3000. ;)

The rest of it makes sense.
OK. I fixed it.

But if I had a time machine, I wouldn't go to the year 3,000. I'd go back to about 2000 and invest in Google. And then I'd go back to about 3 weeks ago and sold everything.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OK. I fixed it.

But if I had a time machine, I wouldn't go to the year 3,000. I'd go back to about 2000 and invest in Google. And then I'd go back to about 3 weeks ago and sold everything.
Good point. I would have bought Yahoo way back when. Then sold it. Bought Google. Sold it. All sorts of stuff. (Oh and the year 3000 refers to a song from a Disney film -- trying to keep things G rated.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">