• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse leaving country after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momkat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

What happens when you are married and divorced in the state of Texas but your husband absconds to Costa Rica and refuses to honor the terms of the legal divorce? What, if any, legal recourse do I have to make him honor his obligation?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

What happens when you are married and divorced in the state of Texas but your husband absconds to Costa Rica and refuses to honor the terms of the legal divorce? What, if any, legal recourse do I have to make him honor his obligation?
What obligation?

momkat

He is supposed to pay the mortgage until May of 2018. But it has been a battle every month since the divorce was final (sept 9th 2015). Now he will not respond to any correspondence. Initially, the payment was auto-drafted, but he kept having insufficient funds. Now the bank wants cashiers checks for the payment.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He is supposed to pay the mortgage until May of 2018. But it has been a battle every month since the divorce was final (sept 9th 2015). Now he will not respond to any correspondence. Initially, the payment was auto-drafted, but he kept having insufficient funds. Now the bank wants cashiers checks for the payment.
I wouldn't count on him paying, nor would I count on any enforceable consequences.

Proserpina

I wouldn't count on him paying, nor would I count on any enforceable consequences.
Ditto.

If OP wants to keep the house she'll have to start paying and try to sue him for reimbursement which, let's face it, is not likely to result in anything even vaguely useful.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You need to pay the mortgage. If you can't afford the mortgage, you can't afford the house.

LdiJ

You need to pay the mortgage. If you can't afford the mortgage, you can't afford the house.
I agree, but since he has absconded to Costa Rica I do not know how she would be able to sell it if he is still on the deed.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I agree, but since he has absconded to Costa Rica I do not know how she would be able to sell it if he is still on the deed.
She can get a court order that allows her to sell it -- she can go back to DR court and ask for permission to sell it due to the fact that he is not in the country, is not living up to the agreement and the court can order it done. This is not that difficult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">