• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spouse not accepting service of divorce documents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MTE1962

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

it's been 23 days since I signed the documents with the lawyer. She will not answer the door (or the process service isn't trying very hard).

Now the lawyer is saying they are going to mail her the papers.

I suspect, she won't reply to that either.

My question, how long do we have to wait for her reply before we can move forward with the next step.

mistoffolees

it's been 23 days since I signed the documents with the lawyer. She will not answer the door (or the process service isn't trying very hard).

My question, how long do we have to wait for her reply before we can move forward with the next step.
Ask your attorney.

Gracie3787

What papers are you trying to serve?
If they are the petition and summons, they cannot be served by mail. You will have to be able to find a way to have the papers served.

If they are other documents, not a petition, they can be served by certified mail.

Gracie3787

Including publication.
True. However, that will be a long process since OP does know the STBX's address. The OP's attorney will be able to tell him what he needs to do before a service by publication can be done.

OP- Do you know where STBX works?
If you do, you can try having her served at work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">