• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse Not Paying Bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

citygirl3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My spouse filed for divorce and then moved all the belongings that he wanted out of the house 1 day while I was at work and now will not pay any of the bills except for half the mortgage.
My lawyer filed for a temp order to get him to pay the bills and had our first court date today. The 2 lawyers agreed to give my spouse 21 days to turn in the CFS and next court date is 5/31/11.
How do I pay the May bills? My income will not cover them and if I don't pay the credit cards, my credit will be ruined.
Is there a way to get the court to make my spouse pay at least half the bills before 5/31?
I don't understand how he can just move out, take what he wants and not pay any bills?!? My lawyer was also supposed to address the missing marital property, but didn't....just put on the order that no property can be removed from the house. It's too late now!
Am I wrong for being frustrated? Is there anymore that can be/should be done? Or do I have to just wait it out and hope the judge decides on 5/31 to order my spouse to pay the bills? I also know he is going to lie through his teeth and make up expenses such as rent and other bills that he isn't actually paying (I know he's staying with a friend for free).

CourtClerk

Before the end of the month? Don't count on it. This is one of the fallouts of divorce.

Even if the judge orders him to pay half the bills on the 31st, you're not going to get a check on the 31st. Both of your credit is likely to eventually take a hit. He's got to pay for him to live too.

citygirl3

His only bills now are cell phone, gas and food (and half the mortgage that he SAYS he will pay) and he makes more money than me. He stuck me with all the utilities, credit card bills and car loan...not to mention my cell, grocery and gas that I can't pay with my income.

Isis1

His only bills now are cell phone, gas and food (and half the mortgage that he SAYS he will pay) and he makes more money than me. He stuck me with all the utilities, credit card bills and car loan...not to mention my cell, grocery and gas that I can't pay with my income.
That doesn't change anything. He can simply say he's paying rent to his friend. And the judge will allow it. Technically, you don't know that he isn't contributing to that household. You only think what you want to assume, or what he tells you.

CourtClerk

His only bills now are cell phone, gas and food (and half the mortgage that he SAYS he will pay) and he makes more money than me.
It bees that way sometimes....
He stuck me with all the utilities,
The utilities you're using, therefore you should be responsible for...
credit card bills
subject to disposition in the court, until then, if you want them paid, then you'll have to pay them
and car loan...
who is driving the car? who intends on keeping the car?
not to mention my cell,
which is yours, which i'm guessing you use, so I'm guessing you should pay for it. Really, if you can't afford your cell phone, turn it off.
food you eat
and gas that I can't pay with my income.
Gas that you use. Is this gas for the car with the car loan? If you have the car, why exactly do you think he should pay the note? If you intend on keeping the car, how do you expect to pay for it?

Sounds to me like you have a bunch of big girl bills. Like the rest of us have.

citygirl3

The car was bought during the marriage that we both paid the loan on...marital expense. Simple. We only had 1 car as well and shared it. He is now borrowing a friend's car by his own choice. That should not let him out of a marital debt that he incurred.

The credit cards are in both our names and used for marital property/expenses. Again, another bill he is liable for.

The utilities are all expenses to keep up the value and maintenance of the house that we own together...just like the mortgage.

I didn't say I can't pay for groceries or my cell phone. I said that I can't pay for EVERYTHING.

CourtClerk

The car was bought during the marriage that we both paid the loan on...marital expense. Simple. We only had 1 car as well and shared it. He is now borrowing a friend's car by his own choice. That should not let him out of a marital debt that he incurred.
Whose name is on title? If you have the car currently, are you willing to sell the car? Because if you can't afford it, that's likely what's going to happen if he doesn't want it.
The credit cards are in both our names and used for marital property/expenses. Again, another bill he is liable for.
No, a bill you're BOTH liable for
The utilities are all expenses to keep up the value and maintenance of the house that we own together...just like the mortgage.
Not quite. He's not using the utilities. They have no value to him... unlike the mortgage.
I didn't say I can't pay for groceries or my cell phone. I said that I can't pay for EVERYTHING.
And I said, it sounds like you have big girl bills. You need to start working on a plan to get them paid.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And the car is with you. If the loan and title are in your name you are responsible for the payments. You incurred the marital debt as well. If you are not on the loan, don't pay it. Let the car get repossessed. That will teach him! But if you need a car to get to work, then you need to pay for it. if you are awarded the car in the divorce, you will also be awarded the loan.

Nope. He is liable for the credit cards that are ONLY in his name. You are both liable for the credit cards that are in BOTH your names. Apparently you were living above your means.

Nope. The utilities are expenses necessary to allow you to take a shower, flush the toilet, cook, keep warm or cool (whichever is appropriate for the weather), wash clothes, watch tv, type on the computer and do various other things. It has little to anything to do with the value of the house.

Time to cut back. It is NOT his responsibility to support you when you are divorcing.

nextwife

I simply don't understand why anyone leaves themselves with so little emergancy back up savings that in 30 days from a job loss, seperation or failure to recieve spousal or child support, their financial world collapses. Every man and woman, married or not, needs to have a good 90 days of emergancy funds OF THEIR OWN, at minimum, stashed away BEFORE new cars, big screen TVs, vacations or any other discretionary spending occurs. I mean, it's one thing for a college student to be strapped, but adults who have had a reasonable income should always be saving off the top.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

I simply don't understand why anyone leaves themselves with so little emergancy back up savings that in 30 days from a job loss, seperation or failure to recieve spousal or child support, their financial world collapses. Every man and woman, married or not, needs to have a good 90 days of emergancy funds OF THEIR OWN, at minimum, stashed away BEFORE new cars, big screens TVs, vacations or any other discretionary spending occurs. I mean, it's one thiong for a college student to be strapped, but adults who have had a reasonable income should always be saving off the top.
If people were reasonable and planned for their own needs, there'd be a lot less needs for sites like this one......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">