• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spouse is a registered sex offender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberbunny126

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Pennsylvania

My husband is in jail currently. He was convicted of a sex crime against a minor. He is forgiven by me. But I need to know if I should divorce him for financial reasons. When he gets out of jail, he will owe the state a bunch of money for jail expenses. And he could possibly be sued by the girl's family and have lots of other financial liabilities that I probably don't know about yet.

Since we are married, will I be liable for what he owes related to this conviction?

And if I divorce him, would I still be liable?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Pennsylvania

My husband is in jail currently. He was convicted of a sex crime against a minor. He is forgiven by me. But I need to know if I should divorce him for financial reasons. When he gets out of jail, he will owe the state a bunch of money for jail expenses. And he could possibly be sued by the girl's family and have lots of other financial liabilities that I probably don't know about yet.

Since we are married, will I be liable for what he owes related to this conviction?

And if I divorce him, would I still be liable?
How sweet of you to forgive your husbands crime against a child. Really...You are just so generous...I'm sure the child is thankful to you that you are forgiving to her abuser.

Consult an attorney if you want to wash your financial hands of dear hubby filth.

Eekamouse

If you stay married to this wonderful man, you'll be paying for his crime in one way or the other. He committed a sex crime against a minor. Do you not care about the stigma that goes along with that or is money your only issue? Do you have children with this man? What about their safety if you do have kids with him?

LdiJ

If you stay married to this wonderful man, you'll be paying for his crime in one way or the other. He committed a sex crime against a minor. Do you not care about the stigma that goes along with that or is money your only issue? Do you have children with this man? What about their safety if you do have kids with him?
Or the safety of their friends, if any other parents ever allow their children to be friends with them?

Proserpina

Is it Forgive An Abuser day or something?

Between the one Mom who's still in contact with the guy who abused HER child.... and this one.... colour me pink and call me a balloon.

:confused:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Is it Forgive An Abuser day or something?

Between the one Mom who's still in contact with the guy who abused HER child.... and this one.... colour me pink and call me a balloon.

:confused:
I need glasses. I thought you wanted us to call you a baboon...

OP. seriously - HOW could you even consider staying with someone who looked/acted sexually towards a child? Do you have children? Do you want children? If you have siblings/friends with children - how could you even consider marking time with someone who could hurt them? I simply do not understand.

Bali Hai

I need glasses. I thought you wanted us to call you a baboon...

OP. seriously - HOW could you even consider staying with someone who looked/acted sexually towards a child? Do you have children? Do you want children? If you have siblings/friends with children - how could you even consider marking time with someone who could hurt them? I simply do not understand.
How about because she is ignorant? This is a cycle that society is trying to break. Animals know better. You are dealing with a product that this society created. You created it, deal with it.

Eekamouse

How about because she is ignorant? This is a cycle that society is trying to break. Animals know better. You are dealing with a product that this society created. You created it, deal with it.
On what planet are there animals that are pedophiles?

Just Blue

No person should have to deal with this. No CHILD should.

OP dearest did the deed and OP is choosing to be "okay" with it. God help any child they have or will have.

BTW...I don't buy the ignorance card. In this day and age it is next to impossible for OP not to know better.

Bali Hai

No person should have to deal with this. No CHILD should.

OP dearest did the deed and OP is choosing to be "okay" with it. God help any child they have or will have.

BTW...I don't buy the ignorance card. In this day and age it is next to impossible for OP not to know better.
I agree with you. The remedy is to permanently remove the threat from society. If not there will be more victims. History tells us that.

justalayman

On what planet are there animals that are pedophiles?
Only humans can be pedophiles.

On top of that, if you want to consider comparative age between an animal species and a human, every animal species woukd be guilty of pedophilia. In the wild sex is used for procreation and anything of breeding age is fair game. If you put that on humans, sex would be acceptable at puberty. That is often around 12-13 but has been known to be as young as 5 (from what I have read) in both sexes.

So, even if we consider the more common age of 12-13 as the allowable age of allowing sexual relations, comparatively all animal species would be considered pedophiles.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Only humans can be pedophiles.

On top of that, if you want to consider comparative age between an animal species and a human, every animal species woukd be guilty of pedophilia. In the wild sex is used for procreation and anything of breeding age is fair game. If you put that on humans, sex would be acceptable at puberty. That is often around 12-13 but has been known to be as young as 5 (from what I have read) in both sexes.

So, even if we consider the more common age of 12-13 as the allowable age of allowing sexual relations, comparatively all animal species would be considered pedophiles.
However, in Western society, age of sexual maturity (aka puberty) is not generally considered ok. We have laws which dictate otherwise.

It's nice that OP "forgives" her spouse. But the only thing she can really forgive him for is his infidelity. It's not her place to forgive him for his violation of a child.

justalayman

However, in Western society, age of sexual maturity (aka puberty) is not generally considered ok. We have laws which dictate otherwise.

It's nice that OP "forgives" her spouse. But the only thing she can really forgive him for is his infidelity. It's not her place to forgive him for his violation of a child.
That was my point. Children entering puberty are generally off limits to adults where as wild animals entering puberty are considered valid partners for procreation.

Bali Hai

That was my point. Children entering puberty are generally off limits to adults where as wild animals entering puberty are considered valid partners for procreation.
And when we don't want animals to do this, we neuter them. If one acts like an animal, one should be treated like an animal.

justalayman

And when we don't want animals to do this, we neuter them. If one acts like an animal, one should be treated like an animal.
While it has already been considered and deemed unavailable due to the cruel and unusual punishment issue, this is one time I don't disagree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">