• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse is threatening me / MD Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Christe_1981

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I'm currently in the process of filing for my own uncontested no fault simple divorce in Maryland. I'm getting the papers ready to file. I received a disturbing message from my spouse via Myspace which threatened an ugly court battle if I did not respond with the status of the file by 11/17.

I have been nothing but civil to him so I'm at a loss for what to do.

Basically, we have been separated and living in different states for 7 years. I spent about $300 to get papers drawn up in Mass (where he currently lives), I signed them and sent them back but he claims to have never received them since he switched jobs. I don't have access to those papers now, so I'm doing this totally on my own. I've been working on this for about 3 months now. We were married less than a year and have no children and no property. Basically, I moved out of the apartment in 2001 when he was unable to support me (I went without any food for a week), and I went to stay with my grandmother while he stayed in the apartment and was supposed to look for a better job. It was an agreement we made together. He then left the state and moved to Maryland, so we haven't seen each other since.

My real question here is, I don't understand what he could possibly sue me for. We didn't have any assets to fight over. When I received his message via Myspace, I replied back telling him if he would like to file the papers, I will sign them. Otherwise, I'm in the process of finalizing them and will send when complete. I also stated I didn't appreciate his threats. He claims he can afford to be stubborn, whatever that means. I don't have extra money to hire an attorney, and I really feel as though it would be a waste. Anyone have any advice?

LdiJ

Unless you have amassed some significant assets during the last 7 years, I cannot imagine how he could make a court battle "ugly". You have no children therefore he cannot use that against you, and he has lived without your financial support for 7 years, therefore he has no grounds for any alimony/spousal support.

On top of that, he could easily file for divorce himself if he is in such a hurry.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Unless you were married last year you have been married for at least 7 years. What do you currently own? Do you have retirement?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">