• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse using emails to hurt career

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needhelp1975

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but here goes......
If I accidentally left an email account open on my home computer and my spouse found sexually explicit emails in them confirming an affair, do I have any legal recourse if my spouse uses these emails to hurt my career (either by forwarding them to my colleagues or photocopying them and posting them around my workplace)?

mlane58

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but here goes......
If I accidentally left an email account open on my home computer and my spouse found sexually explicit emails in them confirming an affair, do I have any legal recourse if my spouse uses these emails to hurt my career (either by forwarding them to my colleagues or photocopying them and posting them around my workplace)?
Got caught with your pants down? hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please, what illegally has she done? tell us, won't you.

quincy

If your spouse distributes the actual emails to your colleagues, it cannot be defamation, because truth is a defense to a defamation action, even if the emails turn out to be reputationally damaging to you and your career.

It could have been considered an invasion of privacy (publication of private facts) if your spouse had to search for these emails by accessing a private account, but you yourself made these private facts "public" by leaving the emails open for anyone to read (intentionally or not).

If your spouse is in line to collect child support and/or alimony from you, however, he/she would be wise not to sabotage your job but instead collect a perhaps larger-than-otherwise percentage from you every two weeks in support payments. As well as walking away with the lion's share of personal property. Marital misconduct and fault figure into awards.

This, of course, assumes he/she is planning on leaving you instead of forgiving you for your transgressions.

needhelp1975

How about if the email account was on the screen, but none of the emails were open. My spouse had to actively open the emails and forward them to several different email accounts for future access.

quincy

If your computer is a shared or family computer, it wouldn't make a difference. Your spouse would not be invading your privacy on a jointly-owned and jointly-used computer, as there is no expectation of privacy in that case.

If it was your own personal computer, a privacy action might be more feasible, but I doubt it would be successful. You gave your spouse, basically, permission to view the emails by providing easy access to the emails.

Opening the emails might have been unethical on the part of your spouse, but writing sexually-explicit emails to someone other than your spouse is a wee bit unethical, too - and grounds for a fault-based divorce in Pennsylvania.

Bali Hai

Got caught with your pants down? hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please, what illegally has she done? tell us, won't you.
There is nothing in OP's post to suggest their gender!! You might have just as well written "Got caught with your dress UP"!!

I'll remember you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">