• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse wants to keep income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

postcambria

What is the name of your state? TN

My husband and I are divorcing after 12 years. It's a long story. We've already divided up our cash accounts, and agreed to a payment from his IRA. I have two questions:

1. He worked overseas this year and earned about $32K for a month's work. He kept this money in his own account because we talked of divorce after he got back. He'll work again early next year, and earn about the same amount (before the divorce is final). Is this reasonable? Or should this be a shared asset? We've been "retired" for 2 years other than his seasonal work overseas.

2. How are IRAs divided? Is it half the increase since marriage? How can I find out the value of his IRA at the time we were married (it was a 401k back then, rolled over to IRA at retirement)? We balanced our investments by making riskier choices in my IRA as part of our overall strategy, so I wound up losing 40% of the value of my IRA.

Thanks for any advice. I'm quite distressed by all this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">