• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouses business debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Snlegaladvice01

Hawaii: my husbands business, that he had before I met him incures debt year after year. As his spouse, can I be held responsible for his business debt?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hawaii: my husbands business, that he had before I met him incures debt year after year. As his spouse, can I be held responsible for his business debt?
What kind of business? Corporation, sole proprietorship? How much profit does the business make? If none, then it really isn't a viable business and he needs to get a job.

LdiJ

Generally you cannot be held personally liable for any debts you did not enter into. However, joint assets could be at risk. Real estate owned jointly, investments owned jointly or joint bank accounts are examples of things that could be at risk. If you are worried about it you should avoid owning anything jointly.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Generally you cannot be held personally liable for any debts you did not enter into. However, joint assets could be at risk. Real estate owned jointly, investments owned jointly or joint bank accounts are examples of things that could be at risk. If you are worried about it you should avoid owning anything jointly.
If this is a sole proprietorship, she could find that it is MARITAL debt upon divorce...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">