• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouses location unknown

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

foxxx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I completed all the forms for Complaint for Divorce and Service by Publication... This includes completing a form called Affidavit of Due Diligence. I was instructed by self help at the court to put an explanation for requested search information that I was told could not be released to me without a court order (Such as DMV and Utility Company) I was told without a court order authorizing me to obtain any information on my spouse they could not help me. So my request for service by publication was denied and the court suggested I try harder to obtain this information.

Since filing the original documents, I have been told by friends that my spouse is in Texas but no one knows an address. I have spoken to my spouse several times since she abandoned me and our 2 yr old son 8 months ago; and even though I have requested the address she refuses to give it to me.

So I cant serve by publication and cannot serve by personal service, what do I do?

She is the one who abandoned her family, so how come I am being punished? All I want is to protect my son and establish custody so she cannot surprise us one day out of the blue and disappear with our son.

I do not know what else to do, I cannot afford to hire an attorney.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I completed all the forms for Complaint for Divorce and Service by Publication... This includes completing a form called Affidavit of Due Diligence. I was instructed by self help at the court to put an explanation for requested search information that I was told could not be released to me without a court order (Such as DMV and Utility Company) I was told without a court order authorizing me to obtain any information on my spouse they could not help me. So my request for service by publication was denied and the court suggested I try harder to obtain this information.

Since filing the original documents, I have been told by friends that my spouse is in Texas but no one knows an address. I have spoken to my spouse several times since she abandoned me and our 2 yr old son 8 months ago; and even though I have requested the address she refuses to give it to me.

So I cant serve by publication and cannot serve by personal service, what do I do?

She is the one who abandoned her family, so how come I am being punished? All I want is to protect my son and establish custody so she cannot surprise us one day out of the blue and disappear with our son.

Its probably time to get an attorney to help you cut through the red tape.

mistoffolees

Frankly, you can't afford NOT to hire an attorney. Since you've done some of the legwork, it might not be terribly expensive - and it will de done right so you won't have to deal with her challenges later. Go see an attorney - initial consultation won't be very expensive (it's free with some attorneys).

You also seem to be ignoring the fact that your stbx should be supporting the child, too. Once you have tracked her down and completed the divorce, you can file for child support, as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">