• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI Disability income and support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

What is the Social Security standing on the effects of spousal support on the monthly disability recieved. My wife I am divorcing has bounced back and forth with her plea for support or not depending on how it effects her disability income. She recieves a monthly disability and works part time up to the limit that the SS Administration allows****************************..in other words she earns the max before they reduce her benefit. Her claim now after 9 months of litigation that she wants support because it won't affect her4 SS income after all. prewviously she wanted only medical and not support. I filed last Jan for divorce and the response was she wanted no support, just medical.

BL

What is the Social Security standing on the effects of spousal support on the monthly disability recieved. My wife I am divorcing has bounced back and forth with her plea for support or not depending on how it effects her disability income. She recieves a monthly disability and works part time up to the limit that the SS Administration allows****************************..in other words she earns the max before they reduce her benefit. Her claim now after 9 months of litigation that she wants support because it won't affect her4 SS income after all. prewviously she wanted only medical and not support. I filed last Jan for divorce and the response was she wanted no support, just medical.
SS can be calculated for child support purposes .

If you know the numbers , look up your State's Child support calculator and do the numbers .

The court should calculate ALL relevant income(s) from a yearly bases .

mistoffolees

If she's entitled to support from you, you should be paying it, even if it reduces SSI. After all, I (and 150 million other taxpayers) did not marry her, so we should not be picking up the tab for your support.

nextwife

If she's entitled to support from you, you should be paying it, even if it reduces SSI. After all, I (and 150 million other taxpayers) did not marry her, so we should not be picking up the tab for your support.
But IS she entitled to support from him? How long were they married, for example. How much will her income be compared to the previous lifestlye. Is he referring to SSI or SSDI?

mistoffolees

But IS she entitled to support from him? How long were they married, for example. How much will her income be compared to the previous lifestlye. Is he referring to SSI or SSDI?
I don't have any idea if she's entitled to support. That's why I said 'if'.

My point is that he is responsible for his own obligations - whatever they are. He can't morally (or legally, for that matter) get out of his obligations by saying 'it's OK because SSI or SSDI or welfare or any other government service will pick up the slack.'

Bali Hai

I don't have any idea if she's entitled to support. That's why I said 'if'.

My point is that he is responsible for his own obligations - whatever they are. He can't morally (or legally, for that matter) get out of his obligations by saying 'it's OK because SSI or SSDI or welfare or any other government service will pick up the slack.'
If one judge awards her alimony and another judge does not award her alimony, is she entitled to alimony or not entitled to alimony??

mistoffolees

If one judge awards her alimony and another judge does not award her alimony, is she entitled to alimony or not entitled to alimony??
Obviously, the judge who has jurisdiction or who makes the later ruling (in the case of appeals).

What does that have to do with the topic?

Ozark_Sophist

SSDI is merit based--not means tested. OP's future ex is on SSDI. It's none of your business as a taxpayer to worry about supporting OP's ex. She earned her disability.

OP's question:
Does spousal support (not child support) effect the earnings limit allowed under SSDI?

OP should call his local social security office for this specific information.

BL

The poster has two threads going on at the same time in different categories :

https://forum.freeadvice.com/social-security-disability-ssi-law-70/ssi-alimony-440383.html

The poster refers to $2000.00 limit which would indicate SSI ( supplemental ) .

The poster also indicates the recipient is in the Ticket to Work program , therefor allowed certain benefits from participation .

The poster should go here SSA.GOV , and look around instead of keeping two threads alive .

sorry********************************************************just trying to get information. This category seemed specific to SSI****************************..that is why I posted here regarding the reduction of SSI if she gets support.

I also realize that the court doesn't give a hoot one way or the other if she draws SSI or not. I guess my misconception comes from marrying her in the first place when she came into the marriage with that income.

Qoute: "The poster should go here SSA.GOV , and look around instead of keeping two threads alive "

I had gone there and spent some time and it was not clear, that is why I posted here specificaly regarding the reduction of SSI because of support.
She became disabled 4 years before our marriage and got the disability from SSI for the simple reason she could no longer work. That was her right and that is why we pay SSI.
So now after being married to me she no longer has that right after divorce?
They didn't consider my income and take it away from her when we were married????? I believe that is how the rules are****************************.if we are in the same household my income is not considered.

I am not trying to "over use" this site****************************.just grasping out for help

LdiJ

Qoute: "The poster should go here SSA.GOV , and look around instead of keeping two threads alive "

I had gone there and spent some time and it was not clear, that is why I posted here specificaly regarding the reduction of SSI because of support.
She became disabled 4 years before our marriage and got the disability from SSI for the simple reason she could no longer work. That was her right and that is why we pay SSI.
So now after being married to me she no longer has that right after divorce?
They didn't consider my income and take it away from her when we were married????? I believe that is how the rules are****************************.if we are in the same household my income is not considered.

I am not trying to "over use" this site****************************.just grasping out for help
When you were together your income was not her income. It was your income. However, spousal support would definitely be her income, she even has to pay tax on it. Therefore that very well may change the picture.

Hearing outcome

The hearing was today. She gets no spousal support. The decision was based on her having the disability and income previous to marriage. Now that we are divorcing she is considered as before the marriage and should keep the SSI Disability benefit. Any spousal support would only diminish her benefit and my bottom line causing more hardship.

Judgement was for no support.

Gracie3787

The hearing was today. She gets no spousal support. The decision was based on her having the disability and income previous to marriage. Now that we are divorcing she is considered as before the marriage and should keep the SSI Disability benefit. Any spousal support would only diminish her benefit and my bottom line causing more hardship.

Judgement was for no support.
I'm glad the Judge saw the truth and made a fair decision. No matter what your ex, or her attorney tried to claim, her SSI would definately be decreased, possibly to the point of not recieving any at all. The Judge realized that ordering SS would have done more harm than good for both parties.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">