• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stalking?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

savedbygrace

Washington Sate.

A friend of mine going through divorce has asked me to follow his wife, don't really want to do it but just wondering where that would put me legally.

The short version. He has custody of kids and she has 1 day a week visitation.
Because she can't come to the house they meet at nuetral ground to do the kid swap thing. She can't be with the kids without another adult because of abuse charges (not just allegations). She was living with freinds so Dad knew the situation. She has now moved in with a new male friend who dad knows nothing about.

The next child exchange the Dad has asked me to follow the mom to where the new boyfriend resides. He feels he needs to know where his kids are and says if he's seen following it could be used against him?

My qustion is, where does that put me? a stalker? could I be called into court if she (or lawyers) found out I did this?

thanks , I really don't wanna be involved. but I understand my friends position too.

mistoffolees

Washington Sate.

A friend of mine going through divorce has asked me to follow his wife, don't really want to do it but just wondering where that would put me legally.

Because she can't come to the house they meet at nuetral ground to do the kid swap thing. She can't be with the kids without another adult because of abuse charges (not just allegations). She was living with freinds so Dad knew the situation. She has now moved in with a new male friend who dad knows nothing about.

The next child exchange the Dad has asked me to follow the mom to where the new boyfriend resides. He feels he needs to know where his kids are and says if he's seen following it could be used against him?

My qustion is, where does that put me? a stalker? could I be called into court if she (or lawyers) found out I did this?

thanks , I really don't wanna be involved. but I understand my friends position too.
Dad doesn't have a position.

The mother can't be with the kids without another adult present. That should ensure the kid's safety. He has no business interfering with her private life and you most certainly have no business being involved.

He has the right to ensure that the court order is being followed. If the order is not restrictive on 'another adult', then he can go back to court to have it clarified. But as long as she's following the court order, it's none of his business where she lives.

He could argue that he doesn't want her to have the kid(s) there when there's another adult male in the house, but he has no legal right to enforce that. If he feels strongly about it, he can go back to court and ask the judge for an order to that effect. But without such an order, he can't stop her.

savedbygrace

thanks for the reply. Don't think he's trying to violate her rights, just wants to know where his kids are staying. He said he doesn't care about an address or apt #, just wants to know there not staying in a car or meth house.

mistoffolees

thanks for the reply. Don't think he's trying to violate her rights, just wants to know where his kids are staying. He said he doesn't care about an address or apt #, just wants to know there not staying in a car or meth house.
If there is reason to believe the kids are in an unsafe environment, he can call CPS. If there is reason to believe that she is involved with drugs, he can ask the court to order random drug testing.

Or, he can hire a private investigator who knows the law and what he can legally do and what he can't do.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Washington Sate.

Truthfully yes you could be charged criminally for stalking. You could also be called into court to testify. You could be facing a lot of problems. Especially since you are doing this at dad's behest and dad could be facing a myriad of issues for doing this.

2X'sdivorce

Isn't that the same as hiring a Private Detective? But, you aren't licensed. Suggest he hire a pro to follow her.

xylene

Who are you to dad or these children that your immediate reaction to this bizzare and dangerous request was not:

"What the heck are you smoking. You want me to follow you ex around? Why would I do this?"

penelope10

Who are you to dad or these children that your immediate reaction to this bizzare and dangerous request was not:

"What the heck are you smoking. You want me to follow you ex around? Why would I do this?"
I tend to totally agree. And you actually could be putting yourself in harms way. Let Dad hire a PI who will know how to go about doing this legally, and has the experience not to get themselves potentially physically harmed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">