• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which State?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlkelle

What is the name of your state?NM

I live in NM and have for the last 2 1/2 years as I am a graduate student. My husband lives in MO, where we were married. I plan to file for a divorce around May as our youngest child will turn 18 then. We have a large amount of debt including a mortgage and my student loans, credit cards, etc. I am hoping to get out of this marriage with my car, which is paid for but is in both names, and, hopefully, only the debt owed on my student loan. In which state should I file for the best results?

rlkelle

well, bill-wise, over the past 2 1/2 years I have sent home approx. $30,000 to pay off said bills and he has neglected to do so. At this point I am fed up and feel that he deserves to have to pay them. Although as my student loans total almost $60,000, I don't consider that I'm sticking it to him, actually he's getting off lightly.
My question as to which state is best to divorce in concerns residency laws and community property laws as NM is a community property state whereas MO is not. I am also leaving him with all of the assets of our marriage, with the exception of my car and personal property(eg. clothes and jewelry).

Bali Hai

rlkelle said:
well, bill-wise, over the past 2 1/2 years I have sent home approx. $30,000 to pay off said bills and he has neglected to do so. At this point I am fed up and feel that he deserves to have to pay them. Although as my student loans total almost $60,000, I don't consider that I'm sticking it to him, actually he's getting off lightly.
My question as to which state is best to divorce in concerns residency laws and community property laws as NM is a community property state whereas MO is not. I am also leaving him with all of the assets of our marriage, with the exception of my car and personal property(eg. clothes and jewelry).
That's very generous of you since you are trying to saddle him with all marital debt except "your" student loan.

Now how much alimony have you considered paying him? He has sacrificed during the marriage for you to futher your education that you did not have prior to.

Without knowing the respective incomes of each party, I would think that $1000/ month would be a nice round number to start with.

rlkelle

His income is triple mine...i clear under a $1000 a month....we've been married for 24 years...so the assets aren't inconsiderable....why am i getting such a hard time from you guys?

Bali Hai

rlkelle said:
His income is triple mine...i clear under a $1000 a month....we've been married for 24 years...so the assets aren't inconsiderable....why am i getting such a hard time from you guys?
What was your college major, bottle and can returns?

If you think you are getting a hard time here, wait until you hear from his lawyer.

rlkelle

The only banging happening is from BOB (battery operated boyfriend), sorry to disappoint you all. Also I am STILL a student so I don't have the best job in the world currently.

Bali Hai

rlkelle said:

That left you with $0 to live on if you net less than $1000/ month and you paid more in bills than you take in. How did you manage this?

rlkelle

i sent home approximately $6000 in student loan refund checks and last year i worked 2 jobs...basically i ended up with around $300 a month to live on

example...year 1. worked full time-full-time student
sent home around $600 per month from my job...I cleared around $900
also sent home loan refund checks totaling approx. $4000
total sent home: $11,200

year 2...worked 2nd job as an RA which provided $500 per month plus free room. Sent home Approx $800 per month and Refund checks totaling approx. $12,600.

this year. work second job in the office for free room (no Pay)....sent home approx $500 per month. total $3000 so far.

Grand total sent home $26,800

Got it?

Last edited:

Bigolme

RlKelle IS her name in real life! Rho don't sweat what these people are talking. They have no way of knowing anything but what you have stated.

In MO you don't pay alimony!! I don't know why that's the 1st thing that everyone wants to jump on besides whos banging who! The one who's getting the banging job is her from her husband! The one who I know he's my BIL and I see and talk to all the time! HES not paying the bills. He's out running around when not at work playing with a race car that in hopes one day will win! While she is going to school to learn something so the two of them could of had "MONEY" for when they got old!

NOW, most of you on here would be pissing up a storm if this was going on with you! NOW shut the heck up and give the advice that is asked for or shut up and move onto someone else who will run and cry with the ugly words you so believe is the truth.....

LdiJ

Bigolme said:
RlKelle IS her name in real life! Rho don't sweat what these people are talking. They have no way of knowing anything but what you have stated.

In MO you don't pay alimony!! I don't know why that's the 1st thing that everyone wants to jump on besides whos banging who! The one who's getting the banging job is her from her husband! The one who I know he's my BIL and I see and talk to all the time! HES not paying the bills. He's out running around when not at work playing with a race car that in hopes one day will win! While she is going to school to learn something so the two of them could of had "MONEY" for when they got old!

NOW, most of you on here would be pissing up a storm if this was going on with you! NOW shut the heck up and give the advice that is asked for or shut up and move onto someone else who will run and cry with the ugly words you so believe is the truth.....
Well, one thing that I would advise is that she not necessarily give up on the marital assets. She should really at least consult with an attorney before deciding to go that route. The house could have far more equity than she realizes....and he did piss away almost 30,000 of her cash over the last 2 1/2 years. There is also no guarantee that she won't get stuck not only with her student loans, but also for 1/2 of the other marital debt. In which case, it would be highly foolish to give up on the marital assets as well.

jaylee

rlkelle said:
Because they are obviously children with nothing better to do with no lives. They can't help it.Ignore them. Their idiots.

Bali Hai

Bigolme said:

http://www.moga.state.mo.us/statutes/C400-499/4520000080.HTM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">