• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OxOx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona currently

How can I find out which state divorce laws might be most beneficial to me?

We live in Arizona, but it is highly possible I will be moving to Kansas City Missouri for work/training that would last 3 years. So there will likely be the option of filing in Arizona, Missouri or Kansas. My wife and kids have made it clear they would not be following me.

I went back to, and graduated medical school in my 40's and now its time for residency training. I interviewed here but also in Missouri. I cannot be fully licensed without completing residency, so if I match to residency in Missouri its not really a possiblity to not go at this time.

Our finances are devestated now after this mid-life education fiasco. My oldest is 18, my youngest is 7. My wife has only worked outside the home perhaps only 2 years of our marriage and has no real marketable skills and attended college but has no degree.

Anyway I could ask many more questions, as there are several complications to the situation. But in essence I would like to find out which state might be best for filing a divorce in, in terms of child support, child visitation etc.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona currently

How can I find out which state divorce laws might be most beneficial to me?

We live in Arizona, but it is highly possible I will be moving to Kansas City Missouri for work/training that would last 3 years. So there will likely be the option of filing in Arizona, Missouri or Kansas. My wife and kids have made it clear they would not be following me.

I went back to, and graduated medical school in my 40's and now its time for residency training. I interviewed here but also in Missouri. I cannot be fully licensed without completing residency, so if I match to residency in Missouri its not really a possiblity to not go at this time.

Our finances are devestated now after this mid-life education fiasco. My oldest is 18, my youngest is 7. My wife has only worked outside the home perhaps only 2 years of our marriage and has no real marketable skills and attended college but has no degree.

Anyway I could ask many more questions, as there are several complications to the situation. But in essence I would like to find out which state might be best for filing a divorce in, in terms of child support, child visitation etc.
You don't get to forum shop. You would have to have residency established in another state (that means living there a minimum of six months) before you could file there, and matters regarding the children would remain in AZ, as AZ will remain their home state. Another state would also be unlikely to have any jurisdiction over property located in AZ, either.

Therefore, realistically, you are going to need to file for divorce in AZ. You are also going to be paying a big chunk of your income in child and spousal support.

You really might want to try harder to get accepted someplace local.

OxOx

I did apply locally and had an interview with one medical residency locally, but I don't think my chances are good here.

Question 1: Why would staying local matter though? I will be paying a big chunk of income regardless of where I live - would I pay less here?

Question 2 ; How is the amount of child support and alimony determined? We were thinking of one of those online legal form generating services, will it determine the amount of money to be paid?

Question 3 : can it determine more child support etc than I make? In residency I will probably make about $45000. We have several children who would all probably want to stay with her

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">