• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which state has Jurisdiction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? KY, wife in GA

I know how you feel about GF's posting, but he asked me to & he needed some answers.

Separted since 2/04, she is living in the family home in GA with both children, one from the marriage the other was a step-parent adoption. He is living in their "weekend" home in Kentucky. He pays a mutually agreed amount for child support and helps her with any other "crisis" that occurs, including paying in full for his step-daughters surgery for her wisdom teeth and helping her out in lump sums for her CC, just for example.

She will not let him see their children unless in suits/benefits her in some way. She did bring their son to visit for New Years, she stayed with him in the home. I did not attempt to contact him that weekend, since I knew she was visiting with their son.

She also brought their son to visit for my BF's birthday. This time, he told her that she couldn't stay with him, not referring to the son, but she would have to stay with other family members. I don't think she quite planned for her weekend to play out like that. She must've gotten wise & checked his caller ID, guess who's number she found. She called me a couple of times to ask about how I knew him, I didn't give her any information which added fuel to the fire. She called me a few choice names, but I didn't see that making a bad situation worse would be to anyone's benefit. We have chosen not to admit our relationship, that we have had since 10/04, at least not to her. It will only complicate the divorce and custody situation.

He is now ready to file for divorce, but fully anticipates that she will not make life easy & will probably contest it. I know that since the children are residents of GA, custody issues will be in GA's jurisdiction. However, if she chooses to fight the divorce, will that be KY's jurisdiction since he is a resident & filed in this state?

Shay-Pari'e

Tell Daddio to get a lawyer, as there is no way two jurisdictions are going to handle this divorce at the same time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">