• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

which state will divorce take place in?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

megan3763

What is the name of your state?Georgia
My husband and I were married in Pennsylvania. I am now living in Georgia and he is still in Pennsylvania. If we were to file for divorce, which state would we do it in?

megan3763 said:
What is the name of your state?Georgia
My husband and I were married in Pennsylvania. I am now living in Georgia and he is still in Pennsylvania. If we were to file for divorce, which state would we do it in?
Jurisdiction was never my strong suit, but I would imagine you file in Georgia.

megan3763

I am pregnant now. This will be our first child. I've lived in Georgia my whole life except for the 3 months I spent in Pennsylvania. I've been home in GA for a month now.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

megan3763 said:
I am pregnant now. This will be our first child. I've lived in Georgia my whole life except for the 3 months I spent in Pennsylvania. I've been home in GA for a month now.

My response:

Fortunately, you never lost your legal status as a resident of GA by staying in PA for only three months. Therefore, you would be filing in GA. However, if your husband has satisfied the residency requirements of PA, he could file there.

So, unless you don't mind traveling to the North for hearings and the eventual trial, then I would strongly suggest that you file in GA as soon as possible.

But, once the Petition is filed in GA or PA, it will be in that State where the filing occurred first.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">