• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of limitation for Qualified domestic relation order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phillipsteam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

What is the statue of limitions for a military Qualified domestic relation order(QDRO) in the state of Fla?

I have remarrige , how does this effect a QDRO?

I was divorce in 1998, there was no QDRO entered in dueing the final divorce decree. The military did not exccept the final divorce decree.

*My ex-wife and her lawyer is now (21 July 09) tring to get me to pay for a QDRO some ten years later. Do I have to pay for a QDRO?

LdiJ

What is the statue of limitions for a military Qualified domestic relation order(QDRO) in the state of Fla?

I was divorce in 1998, there was no QDRO entered in dueing the final divorce decree. The military did not exccept the final divorce decree.

*My ex-wife and her lawyer is now (21 July 09) tring to get me to pay for a QDRO some ten years later. Do I have to pay for a QDRO?
If your divorce decree says that she gets a portion of your retirement, then she gets a portion of your retirement. If the QDRO has to be done in order for that to happen, then you need to cooperate.

mistoffolees

While Ldij is correct (you do have to cooperate and get the QDRO in place), the only minor quibble is who has to pay for it. If the decree is silent on the matter, then you could ask her to pay for it - or split the expense.

HOWEVER, you're probably better off paying for it because it won't be very expensive and you will control the attorney so you can be comfortable there are no backhanded tricks. It would be counterproductive to fight over this minor matter.

Personally, I would have my attorney draft the QDRO using the exact requirements of the divorce decree and then ask her to pay 1/2. If she refused, I'd drop my request for payment because it won't be enough to be worth fighting over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">