• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statue of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crickett23

my ex and i were not married but in SC we are common law married. as we lived together for 15 yrs. we seperated a year almost 2 years ago. one month later i was living with some one else and we had a baby on the way. my x and i have a child whom i pay her child support, medical, and half of school ect. She still threatens me to this day that if i don't do whatever she asks me to do, she will file for alimony and a legal divorce. is there a limitations on how long she has to do that and if not should i just do as she asks forever?

JETX

LdiJ said:
Last time I checked SC (South Carolina) was part of the US.
And where in the OP does it say that the current matter is based in ANY state?? The OP only says that they "were not married but in SC". That tells us NOTHING about what laws might apply in the current UNKNOWN state!! :eek:

Jeeeze.... when the forum software specifically asks WHAT STATE?? and the OP deletes it rather than answer, how in the hell can you ASSUME what state laws apply?? Or even worse, not 'get it'???

crickett23

anyone have a answer

Let Me clarify ...SC stands for the state of South Carolina! In SC (SOUTH CAROLINA) the law recognizes common law mariages. As far as I can tell...and im not very familiar with the law as i am not a judge, DA, lawyer, even a legal assistant..South Carolina Law says something to the effect of two people in a relationship living in the same physical address haveing the same mailing address for more than 6 months would constitute a common law mariage...and the fact still remains that the reason i am here asking the question is because i need some help with this issue not to debate how many states are in the united states or whatnot so if any one can help with the question...I:confused: confused: thank you!

ENASNI

JETX said:
Jeeeze.... when the forum software specifically asks WHAT STATE?? and the OP deletes it rather than answer, how in the hell can you ASSUME what state laws apply?? Or even worse, not 'get it'???

Sorry JETX, unbeknownst to us there is a glitch in the software at this time that does not ask what state they are in. It is causing a bit of frustration for us aimed at the new posters.

I am sure they will be working on it. One of the regular posters figured this out was going to inform them.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
crickett23 said:
Let Me clarify ...SC stands for the state of South Carolina! In SC (SOUTH CAROLINA) the law recognizes common law mariages. As far as I can tell...and im not very familiar with the law as i am not a judge, DA, lawyer, even a legal assistant..South Carolina Law says something to the effect of two people in a relationship living in the same physical address haveing the same mailing address for more than 6 months would constitute a common law mariage...and the fact still remains that the reason i am here asking the question is because i need some help with this issue not to debate how many states are in the united states or whatnot so if any one can help with the question...I:confused: confused: thank you!

Here is what the statute says:
South Carolina Code of Laws
(Unannotated)
Current through the end of the 2005 Regular Session

Disclaimer
This statutory database is current through the 2005 Regular Session of the South Carolina General Assembly. Changes to the statutes enacted by the 2006 General Assembly, which will convene in January 2006, will be incorporated as soon as possible. Some changes enacted by the 2006 General Assembly may take immediate effect. The State of South Carolina and the South Carolina Legislative Council make no warranty as to the accuracy of the data, or changes which may have been enacted since the 2005 Regular Session or which took effect after this database was prepared and users rely on the data entirely at their own risk.

Title 20 - Domestic Relations

CHAPTER 1.

MARRIAGE

ARTICLE 1.

GENERAL PROVISIONS

SECTION 20-1-30. Cohabitation prior to emancipation as marriage.

All persons in this State who, previous to their actual emancipation, had undertaken and agreed to occupy the relation to each other of husband and wife and were cohabiting as such or in any way recognizing the relation as still existing on March 12, 1872, whether the rites of marriage have been celebrated or not, shall be deemed husband and wife, and be entitled to all the rights and privileges and be subject to all the duties and obligations of that relation, in like manner as if they had been duly married according to law.

But the provisions of this section shall not be deemed to extend to persons who have agreed to live in concubinage after their emancipation.

SECTION 20-1-100. Minimum ages for valid marriage.

Any person under the age of sixteen is not capable of entering into a valid marriage, and all marriages hereinafter entered into by such persons are void ab initio. A common-law marriage hereinafter entered into by a person under the age of sixteen is void ab initio.

My understanding of this is unless you entered into such a relationship prior to 1872, then you are NOT common law married. I could be wrong but that is in my interpretation. Anyone find anything else?

JETX

Okay, lets try this AGAIN!!!

crickett23 said:
my ex and i were not married but in SC we are common law married.[/qutoe]
You're either married... or not. Can't be both.
And it doesn't matter what might or might not have been the 'deal' in Small Claims!! :eek:

as we lived together for 15 yrs. we seperated a year almost 2 years ago.
So, what PROOF do you have that a 'common law' marriage existed?? There are no specific laws or rules as to what constitutes a valid 'common law' marriage in SOUTH CAROLINA.

The ONLY way to prove that you in fact had a common law marriage is for a court of common pleas to say so. From SOUTH CAROLINA Code:
SECTION 20-1-510. Jurisdiction to determine validity of marriage.
The court of common pleas shall have authority to hear and determine any issue affecting the validity of a contract of marriage.

SECTION 20-1-520. Affirmation of marriage if validity has been denied or doubted.
When the validity of a marriage shall be denied or doubted by either of the parties, the other may institute a suit for affirming the marriage and, upon due proof of the validity thereof, it shall be decreed to be valid and such decree shall be conclusive upon all persons concerned.

SECTION 20-1-530. Declaration of invalidity.
If any such contract has not been consummated by the cohabitation of the parties thereto the court may declare such contract void for want of consent of either of the contracting parties or for any other cause going to show that, at the time the supposed contract was made, it was not a contract.

The criteria for a common law marriage is: (1) when two parties have a present intent (usually, but not necessarily, evidenced by a public and unequivocal declaration) to enter into a marriage contract; and (2) "a mutual agreement between the parties to assume toward each other the relation of husband and wife." See Tarnowski v. Lieberman (S.C. Ct. App. 2002)

South Carolina courts have held that the party claiming the common law marriage must prove the marriage arose by a preponderance of the evidence. Ex Parte Blizzard, 193 S.E. 633, 634, (S.C. 1937); Kirby v. Kirby, 241 S.E.2d 415, 416, (S.C. 1978). However, where the evidence establishes long cohabitation and a reputation in the community as husband and wife, a presumption of common law marriage arises. Campbell v. Christian,110 S.E. 2d 1, 4, (S.C. 1959); In Re Greenfield=s Estate, 141 S.E.2d 916, 920, (1965); Jeanes v. Jeanes,177 S.E. 2d 537, 539, (S.C. 1970).

one month later i was living with some one else and we had a baby on the way. my x and i have a child whom i pay her child support, medical, and half of school ect. She still threatens me to this day that if i don't do whatever she asks me to do, she will file for alimony and a legal divorce. is there a limitations on how long she has to do that and if not should i just do as she asks forever?
She can make any claim she wants against you... until such time as you get a ruling from the courts as to whether your cohabitation did in fact constitute a marriage or not.

For more:
http://www.rrb.gov/pdf/l-97-28.pdf
http://www.judicial.state.sc.us/opinions/displayOpinion.cfm?caseNo=3444

ceara19

"statue of limitations"

Was this done by the same man that designed the statue of liberty? :p
(Sorry, I'm in a mood today for some reason)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">