• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of Limitations on Judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gaweber

What is the name of your state? California

In August 1993 a judgement was filed for my divorce, at which time I was my own attorney. It was never served on me, though my address was known. I recently discovered that for whatever reasons, my statement of changing my attorney to myself was not recorded until early 1994, even though it was dated July 1993. I wanted nothing more to do with the divorce and made no efforts to get a copy of the judgement, but it now appears that by serving my ex-attorney it was legally served on me because of the delay in change of attorney filing. I never saw it.

It turns out that the judgement awarded my ex-wife's attorney fees to me and now a collection agency is trying to collect. I have determined that no renewal of judgement has been filed and more than 10 years have passed since the date of judgement.

Am I still liable for the attorney fees? Thank you.

JETX

gaweber said:
I have determined that no renewal of judgement has been filed and more than 10 years have passed since the date of judgement.

Am I still liable for the attorney fees?
If the attorney fees were included in the judgment, AND
If that judgment is over 10 years from the date of issuance, AND
If that judgment has not been renewed, THEN
the judgment would no longer be enforceable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">