• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

travislisajo

Mississippi divorce. Is there a statute of limitations on a divorce. Where my ex was supposed to return all the furniture through the divorce, I received all of it. She has never done so and I am going to have to take her back to court for not paying some bills, so I was not sure if I could go after the furniture she stole.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

travislisajo said:
Mississippi divorce. Is there a statute of limitations on a divorce. Where my ex was supposed to return all the furniture through the divorce, I received all of it. She has never done so and I am going to have to take her back to court for not paying some bills, so I was not sure if I could go after the furniture she stole.
My response:

A "Marital Settlement Agreement" (the MSA), if incorporated into your judgment of divorce, is just like any other contract you might enter into.

With the exception of Spousal or Child Support (of which the court retains jurisdiction until those obligations are completed), the MSA can be enforced for up to 3 years after the "Breach of Contract" occured. If, for example, the MSA said that she was to turn over the furniture to you within 60 days from the date of the MSA, you'd have up to 3 years from after that 60th day to enforce your contractual rights under the MSA. If you haven't exercised your rights and allowed the 3 years to expire, then you can no longer expect a court to help you because you've then allowed the Statute of Limitations to expire.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">