• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeff26IA

What is the name of your state? California.

Is there a statute of limitations regarding divorces in California? I'm asking because the petition was filed 8/15/03 and I don't want to have to start over again.

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I'm starting to get worried.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Jeff26IA said:
What is the name of your state? California.

Is there a statute of limitations regarding divorces in California? I'm asking because the petition was filed 8/15/03 and I don't want to have to start over again.

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I'm starting to get worried.

My response:

It's not a stupid question. As a matter of fact, it's quite a logical question to ask, especially when everything in law has a Limitations period. However, Petitions for Dissolution of marriage is probably the only thing (outside of murder) that doesn't have a Statute of Limitations. For example, you could file a Petition for Dissolution in California in 1973. Unless it goes to judgment, it just lays there, in a file, dormant. But, as soon as one of the parties files an "At-Issue Memorandum" with the court - - Whammo! It's reactivated!

So, you have nothing to worry about. Continue on, and forward, under the same case number.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Cindergretta said:
i don't understand the statute of limitations thing as far as divorce goes? what does that mean?

My response:

We weren't discussing a "limitations thing as far as divorce goes". We were discussing whether a Petition for Dissolution has a limitations period. It doesn't.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">