• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations, Bigamy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

superhero1979

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
What is the statute of limitaitons on bigamy?
Here is my problem. There may be a chance that my grandmother was married to my grandfather and the husband after him (step-grandfather) at the same time.
My grandfather passed away in 1966, and my grandmother has been divorced fromt the step-grandfather for around 20 years.
The problem is my Aunt is trying to prove that my grandmother was married to both men at the same time so that she can get my grandmother's alamony cut off from the step-grandfather and put my grandmother in prison.
If there is no statute of limitations what kind of penalty would my grandmother be looking at?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
What is the statute of limitaitons on bigamy?
Here is my problem. There may be a chance that my grandmother was married to my grandfather and the husband after him (step-grandfather) at the same time.
My grandfather passed away in 1966, and my grandmother has been divorced fromt the step-grandfather for around 20 years.
The problem is my Aunt is trying to prove that my grandmother was married to both men at the same time so that she can get my grandmother's alamony cut off from the step-grandfather and put my grandmother in prison.
If there is no statute of limitations what kind of penalty would my grandmother be looking at?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Too bad you can't file a million dollar lawsuit against the aunt for vindictiveness and stupidity.

I doubt if she can get anywhere. Even if she can prove that your grandmother's ex was married to two people at the same time, she's clearly an innocent spouse in this case. After the amount of time which elapsed, she's going to have a major problem:

If she says that she knew about it all along, she's going to have a problem with explaining why she didn't act sooner.

If she says that she just found out about it, your grandmother will be able to say "see, even his sister didn't know about it, so how could I?"

proud_parent

If she says that she just found out about it, your grandmother will be able to say "see, even his sister didn't know about it, so how could I?"
I read "Aunt" as OP's aunt, not OP's great-aunt. In other words, the grandmother's (or perhaps the step-grandfather's) daughter.

Whatever the case, Auntie can't accomplish much of anything. Step-Grandpa would need to be the one to petition to end his spousal support obligation.

I would advise Grandma to sit back and wait to see whether she is served with a petition to terminate, and if so, to consult with an attorney at that time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">