• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations for Forgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Labete

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New York.

A U.S. citizen, who, under fear for her life and having forged her ex-con husband's signature on her divorce papers and left him and the country for good fourteen years ago, needs to know if he or his family (should he now be dead) can now make a claim against her in a US court of law, especially as she no longer lives in the US? Is there a statute of limitations that comes into play, especially since the forgery was probably never discovered?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New York.

A U.S. citizen, who, under fear for her life and having forged her ex-con husband's signature on her divorce papers and left him and the country for good fourteen years ago, needs to know if he or his family (should he now be dead) can now make a claim against her in a US court of law, especially as she no longer lives in the US? Is there a statute of limitations that comes into play, especially since the forgery was probably never discovered?
I am pretty sure that the statute of limitations is long past. Did she benefit in any way from the forgery, outside of the divorce itself?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am pretty sure that the statute of limitations is long past. Did she benefit in any way from the forgery, outside of the divorce itself?
However it may be possible for them to sue if she impeded them from pursuing it before -- i.e. fled the country and hid.

LdiJ

However it may be possible for them to sue if she impeded them from pursuing it before -- i.e. fled the country and hid.
Assuming that there are any potential damages.

I cannot imagine that she could have taken much in the way of marital assets with her.

That's why I asked if she benefitted from anything besides the actual divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">