• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations re: divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

George81

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Los Angeles, California

I was divorced in 2003. I agreed to give all assets to my ex wife and our daughter. On the basis that the assets will ensure my daughters well being going forward. I was just served and in the documents it stated that was not the biological father and that she wants the court to recognize the biological father not me. There was a DNA test done which states that. I gave my ex everything I worked my whole life for based on me being the father. I had a great relationship with our daughter up until three years ago. At that time my ex stopped all contact with me. Not replying to emails, leaving books etc., at the door step, and letters that I mailed. Now I receive this and I would like to know if I'm entitled to a portion of the assets that I gave her since my reasoning for my actions were based on lies from her. Thank you. rgds..

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Los Angeles, California

I was divorced in 2003. I agreed to give all assets to my ex wife and our daughter. On the basis that the assets will ensure my daughters well being going forward. I was just served and in the documents it stated that was not the biological father and that she wants the court to recognize the biological father not me. There was a DNA test done which states that. I gave my ex everything I worked my whole life for based on me being the father. I had a great relationship with our daughter up until three years ago. At that time my ex stopped all contact with me. Not replying to emails, leaving books etc., at the door step, and letters that I mailed. Now I receive this and I would like to know if I'm entitled to a portion of the assets that I gave her since my reasoning for my actions were based on lies from her. Thank you. rgds..
The only way that a property settlement can be re-opened is if there was some kind of fraud related to the accounting of the marital property...ie assets were hidden or fraudulently undervalued.

I know of no cases where a property settlement was re-opened in a circumstance like yours...where you knew how much there was but now you are sorry that you let your wife have everything.

You also basically set yourself up for this. You allowed three years to go by without you seeing the child, instead of taking mom back to court the minute she denied you visitation. If you had been an active father, she would have a very hard time doing this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">