• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stay @ home mom, rights to house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Confused123

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Im a stay at home mom (2 kids 1 yrs old, 3 yrs old ) and I've seperated from my husband (3months). I've taken the 2 kids out of our home to stay at my uncle's hse because he said he would not pay the bills if I stayed. My soon to be ex-husband is living there with a room mate. Did I give up any rights to my home, because he has changed the locks and will not let me in unless he is there. How can I get the house for me and my kids and get my ex out?

Thank you,
Sussie

Last edited:

VeronicaGia

How long have you been married? How was the house purchased? (Him solely before marriage, you solely before marriage, you and he together after marriage?)

Confused123

We've been married 6 years, and the downpayment was solely from my previous home. We purchased the home after marriage. We are both on the title.

rmet4nzkx

PROPERTY DISTRIBUTION: Illinois is an "equitable distribution" state. Each spouse retains the non-marital (separate) property that he or she owned prior to the marriage and any property acquired by gift or inheritance during the marriage. The court will distribute all other marital property, without regard to fault, considering the following factors: (1) the contribution of each spouse to the acquisition or dissipation of the marital or non-marital property, including the contribution of each spouse as homemaker or to the family unit; (2) the value of each spouse's non-marital property; (3) the economic circumstances of each spouse at the time the division of property is to become effective, including the desirability of awarding the family home to the spouse having custody of the children; (4) the length of the marriage; (5) the age and health of the spouses; (6) the occupation of the spouses; (7) the amount and sources of income of the spouses; (8) the vocational skills of the spouses; (9) the employability of the spouses; (10) the estate, liabilities, and needs of each spouse and the opportunity of each for further acquisition of capital assets and income; (11) the federal income tax consequences of the court's division of the property; (12) any premarital agreement; (13) liabilities of the spouses (including obligations from a prior marriage); (14) whether the property award is instead of or in addition to maintenance; and (15) any custodial provisions for the children. [750 Illinois Compiled Statutes Annotated; Chapter 5, Section 503].

ALIMONY/MAINTENANCE/SPOUSAL SUPPORT: The court may award maintenance to either spouse for a period of time it considers just. Marital fault is not a factor. The factors to be considered are: (1) the time necessary to acquire sufficient education and training to enable the spouse to find appropriate employment; (2) the standard of living established during the marriage; (3) the duration of the marriage; (4) the age of the spouses; (5) the physical and emotional conditions of the spouses; (6) the income and property of each spouse; (7) whether the spouse seeking support is able to support himself or herself or is unable to seek employment because he or she is the custodian of a child; (8) any contributions or service by the spouse seeking support to the education, career, training, potential, or licensure of the other spouse; (9) any marital settlement agreement; and (10) any other just and equitable factor. [750 Illinois Compiled Statutes Annotated; Chapter 5, Section 504].

LdiJ

Confused123 said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

Im a stay at home mom (2 kids 1 yrs old, 3 yrs old ) and I've seperated from my husband (3months). I've taken the 2 kids out of our home to stay at my uncle's hse because he said he would not pay the bills if I stayed. My soon to be ex-husband is living there with a room mate. Did I give up any rights to my home, because he has changed the locks and will not let me in unless he is there. How can I get the house for me and my kids and get my ex out?

Thank you,
Sussie
You have recieved the technical info you need...however I will give you some more "practical" info as well.

Since you moved out of the house its highly possible that the judge won't award you the house. That isn't guaranteed, but its possible. However you WILL get your fair share of the equity in the home. Either he will have to refinance the home in his own name and pay you your fair share of the equity, or the judge will order that the house be sold and the equity divided between the two of you.

If the judge did decide to award you the house, you would have to do the same thing. You would have to be able to refinance it in your name only and pay him his share of the equity. So if that isn't realistically possible for you to do....then give up on the idea of keeping the house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">