• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-parent Rights, Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cerulean3

My husband and I have been married 2 and a half years. I have filed for divorce. He wants to have visitation with my 7 year old daughter, of whom he is not the father. I want no contact with him after the divorce. He has a colorful past and has not made good choices in the present. Does he have rights to visitation?

Proserpina

My husband and I have been married 2 and a half years. I have filed for divorce. He wants to have visitation with my 7 year old daughter, of whom he is not the father. I want no contact with him after the divorce. He has a colorful past and has not made good choices in the present. Does he have rights to visitation?
Highly unlikely. He may be able to try and file but frankly he has virtually no chance. While Texas does allow a third party to petition , step-parents are rarely granted visitation outside of extreme circumstances.

(this assumes he did not adopt your daughter, that there are no abuse or neglect charges pending and you're not about to be thrown into jail for a particularly rotten and heinous crime, k? :) )

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">