• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stepchild health care debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

subway

What is the name of your state?

California.

I am going to start soon procedures for divorce.

I would like to ask the following.

My wife has children from previous marriage who i did not adopt and their biological father still pays child support.

Still during our marriage ,the children were covered by my health insurance as dependent.
During our marriage we had some health expenses related with those children.
My insurance payed its portion but there is still debt left .

Both me and my wife agree that those types od debt would be her responsibility after the divorce.

My question is the following.

Assuming that my wife is not able to pay those debts, am i going to be hold responsible for this type of debt?
Right now The hospital is mailing the bill to my name since in their paper the stepchild is covered by my insurance.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state?

California.

I am going to start soon procedures for divorce.

I would like to ask the following.

My wife has children from previous marriage who i did not adopt and their biological father still pays child support.

Still during our marriage ,the children were covered by my health insurance as dependent.
During our marriage we had some health expenses related with those children.
My insurance payed its portion but there is still debt left .

Both me and my wife agree that those types od debt would be her responsibility after the divorce.

My question is the following.

Assuming that my wife is not able to pay those debts, am i going to be hold responsible for this type of debt?
Right now The hospital is mailing the bill to my name since in their paper the stepchild is covered by my insurance.
Its not a family law issue, its a credit issue. Unless you signed forms at the hospital accepting responsibility I don't think that you can be held responsible. However you really need to be consulting local counsel.

ceara19

Its not a family law issue, its a credit issue. Unless you signed forms at the hospital accepting responsibility I don't think that you can be held responsible. However you really need to be consulting local counsel.
Since HIS health insurance also covered the children, the hospital will hold him responsible if mom doesn't pay the bill. If he is on good terms with the STBX and they can get in touch with an understanding supervisor in the hospital's billing department, it would be possible to have his name removed as a party responsible for paying the bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">