• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Steps for Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

absent father

What is the name of your state?California
I am helping a friend of mine with a divorce, typing his papers and such. His wife has been in prison for a couple of years and I believe she just got out. He wants to get the divorce so that he may marry another friend of mine. I know how to do the papers in a simple divorce with no property or children, but I was wondering in what order do you file the paperwork. I don't know if you serve the respondent and then file with the courts so you have proof of service. Or if you file the case at the courts and then serve respondent. I would think that the papers you serve the respondent should have the case number on them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

absent father said:
What is the name of your state?California
I am helping a friend of mine with a divorce, typing his papers and such. His wife has been in prison for a couple of years and I believe she just got out. He wants to get the divorce so that he may marry another friend of mine. I know how to do the papers in a simple divorce with no property or children, but I was wondering in what order do you file the paperwork. I don't know if you serve the respondent and then file with the courts so you have proof of service. Or if you file the case at the courts and then serve respondent. I would think that the papers you serve the respondent should have the case number on them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My response:

Go to Barnes & Noble Bookstore. They have step-by-step instruction books on this subject. You file the Petition, etc. with the court first, then you have the Petition, etc., personally served.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">