• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Still married

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rosanna712

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?NY
I bought a few things online with my husband's bank account. We're still legally married,not even legally separated,just living apart.Can I get in trouble for this?

majomom1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?NY
I bought a few things online with my husband's bank account. We're still legally married,not even legally separated,just living apart.Can I get in trouble for this?
If your name is not on the account... Yes.

Not to mention it is wrong on so many other levels.

LdiJ

If your name is not on the account... Yes.

Not to mention it is wrong on so many other levels.
Its morally wrong on many levels, but its not necessarily illegal even if her name is not on the account. They are married and not legally separated, and he obviously gave her access to the account, and has not rescinded that access. (which he could easily do)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Its morally wrong on many levels, but its not necessarily illegal even if her name is not on the account. They are married and not legally separated, and he obviously gave her access to the account, and has not rescinded that access. (which he could easily do)
You don't know if he gave her access. She may have stolen the checks or taken the ATM card.

majomom1

We don't know that he gave her access. If she is questioning it now, he probably didn't.

I believe it IS illegal, now whether or not he can actually make any charges stick is a whole 'nother question.

Rosanna712

Morals

And was it morally wrong for him to get a girlfriend while I was still in the house? And spend every single minute that he could with her? And leave his 12 yr old daughter(not mine) for hours on end to be with his whore?

Farfalla

And was it morally wrong for him to get a girlfriend while I was still in the house? And spend every single minute that he could with her? And leave his 12 yr old daughter(not mine) for hours on end to be with his whore?
Yes both are not moral...

However in our society adultery is not a crime, using someone else's credit card is.

CourtClerk

Use that argument when he has you prosecuted. See if it sticks. In case you need to know, it won't.

So, what "things" did you buy?

CourtClerk

Background check on the "whore", perhaps?
Ahhhh.... there's a thought. Although "whore" wouldn't come up unless she's been convicted and chances are if she's just sleeping with THIS married man, she'll get off (wait, they're both already getting off). Nevermind. :eek:

Now.. credit card theft, fraud, theft, conversion, fraudulent access to a bank account, diverting funds .... those are some things surely to show up on a background check.

majomom1

Yes, it was morally wrong for him to get a girlfriend, while you were still in the house and to leave his daughter. Some men should be strung up, IMO.

The question now is...

Do you want to be classed in the same category as him?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Which is why I said "not necessarily illegal".

Actually the part I had a problem with was:
he obviously gave her access to the account, and has not rescinded that access. (which he could easily do)
You stated that as a fact. Obviously? BASED ON WHAT? The fact that they were married? Sorry but I know many married couples that keep their finances completely separate.

LdiJ

Actually the part I had a problem with was:

You stated that as a fact. Obviously? BASED ON WHAT? The fact that they were married? Sorry but I know many married couples that keep their finances completely separate.
Ok...valid point. I should not have said "obviously." I should have said that he "may have given her access".

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ok...valid point. I should not have said "obviously." I should have said that he "may have given her access".
And that I would have agreed with. IF he gave her access and permission to access the accounts and did not rescind that permission then there is a problem. Just the fact of being married does NOT give her the right to access his accounts however.
This OP is giong to have a problem unless she can prove that she had HIS permission to access the accounts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">