• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stock trading account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clickcity

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Arizona

Hello,
Premarriage stock account in indiv stocks in my name only & stayed that way for duration of 20 plus yrs of marriage.I might have deposited cash from sale our home and withdrew money to buy our second home . I have traded stocks many times in the yrs. My wife filed for div- and her attorney wants me to add her name to the account, I said I do not see a reason to follow the attorneys wishes . Now the attorney sent a letter to my broker to freeze my acct and is proceeding to get a court order to have my account frozen along with another joint account trading account. I'm retired & I use the diviends to live and pay some our expences , She still works fulltime.This will be a hardship for me -
My wife says the accts will be frozen for a short period of time -
I have not move or hidden any assets at anytime - totally honest .

Questions the have.

1. My original stocks premariage should be excluded from our divison of assets?

2. Why are they insisting I add her name to this one sole account?

thanks for any and all help,

BlindsidedWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

The original value will be excluded. She has a right to any gains on the account as well as any money deposited during the marriage. Her attorney is well within his rights to have the account frozen until the court has determined its division.

I don't know why they want her name on it - other than the fact that she's entitled to part of it and you're refusing to acknowledge that. It's a way to ensure that she gets her share.

You really should have an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">