• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Vehicle?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nevadagirl28

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

My STBX and I are at the tail end of our divorce and everything should be finalized in the next week or so. When we moved to Nevada a few years ago my sister loaned us her car. It is an old clunker not worth much and we just needed to get by. Last year my STBX and I separated due to DV and I currently have a protective order in place. I took my car, but was unable to get the old clunker still registered to my sister.

The plates on the clunker are set to expire at the end of the week. My sister and I didn't really know where the car was until last week. We thought it had probably died for good. Last week he emailed me and said that we needed to "get the car gone" or it would be towed at the registered owner's expense (My sister).

I have contacted scrap yards to have the car removed and parted out but the ex is refusing to tell me the location of the vehicle. I am afraid he is waiting until it gets towed and stored just to be vindictive, so it will cost us money. Can the car be reported as stolen because he refuses to tell us the location? We are working against the clock on this little loose end. Thanks for your help.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

My STBX and I are at the tail end of our divorce and everything should be finalized in the next week or so. When we moved to Nevada a few years ago my sister loaned us her car. It is an old clunker not worth much and we just needed to get by. Last year my STBX and I separated due to DV and I currently have a protective order in place. I took my car, but was unable to get the old clunker still registered to my sister.

The plates on the clunker are set to expire at the end of the week. My sister and I didn't really know where the car was until last week. We thought it had probably died for good. Last week he emailed me and said that we needed to "get the car gone" or it would be towed at the registered owner's expense (My sister).

I have contacted scrap yards to have the car removed and parted out but the ex is refusing to tell me the location of the vehicle. I am afraid he is waiting until it gets towed and stored just to be vindictive, so it will cost us money. Can the car be reported as stolen because he refuses to tell us the location? We are working against the clock on this little loose end. Thanks for your help.
Your sister probably could report it stolen, but if even the police nab it and tow it, she will still be stuck with the towing fee, unless she doesn't claim the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">