• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Strange Proceedings, Someone help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fladad

FloridaWhat is the name of your state? Florida

My wife and I have been seperated since May 04. My sons age 8 & 9 have always lived with me. Never spent an overnight with mom. Feb 04 I was granted child support from her. Divorce is in works, should it be expected that she can claim the children on her income tax? Also, got a call today that her HR dept at work needed my and the childrens ss #'s as she is getting life insurance on us. What should I do, I am divorcing her? :confused:

LdiJ

fladad said:
FloridaWhat is the name of your state? Florida

My wife and I have been seperated since May 04. My sons age 8 & 9 have always lived with me. Never spent an overnight with mom. Feb 04 I was granted child support from her. Divorce is in works, should it be expected that she can claim the children on her income tax? Also, got a call today that her HR dept at work needed my and the childrens ss #'s as she is getting life insurance on us. What should I do, I am divorcing her? :confused:
Most likely the judge will rule that the two of you must share the exemption. That would either be alternating years, or that each one of you claims one child. That is pretty much the norm these days.

Mom is entitled to the children's SS numbers. If you don't give them to her she can easily get them from the Social Security Administration. Has she been paying her child support faithfully?

fladad

reply from fladad to Ldij

Yes, the state went to court on my behalf and the child support is taken out of her pay check before she gets it. She has very limited contact with the children and she abandoned us. Do you know of any cases where the judge has looked at a case diffrently with these circumstances?

fladad

fladad to Ldij and open to others

The other thing I forgot to mention is the fact that now she wants my social security number so she can get a life insurance policy. I know she has every right to the childrens ss # and can get them from the local SS office. She has used my ss # number in the past for improper reasons. I am just concerned. :confused: (florida)

LdiJ

fladad said:
The other thing I forgot to mention is the fact that now she wants my social security number so she can get a life insurance policy. I know she has every right to the childrens ss # and can get them from the local SS office. She has used my ss # number in the past for improper reasons. I am just concerned. :confused: (florida)
Well..then don't give her yours. You certainly have the right to refuse to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">