• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which stte law should I follow?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vision3

What is the name of your state? New York

Hello all,

I got married in Pennsylvania but I am now living in New York and I need to file for divorce. I had been living in New York since July of 2006. We have only been married for 3 years. Which state law applies to me? New York's or PA?

Thank you in advance.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? New York
Hello all,

I got married in Pennsylvania but I am now living in New York and I need to file for divorce. I had been living in New York since July of 2006. We have only been married for 3 years. Which state law applies to me? New York's or PA?
Thank you in advance.
New York. Good luck to you.

Bali Hai

New York. Good luck to you.
Depends. I happen to know a peron who was a NY resident and they moved across the border to PA and became a PA resident DURING divorce proceedings.

When it was all said and done, that person was treated fairly because of the fact that New York divorce laws are total BULLSH!T!!

Golfball

Depending on where your STBX currently lives and where the marital dwelling was, PA law may still have jurisdiction over you, but you haven't given enough information to determine one way or another.

vision3

Well I got married in PA in OCT 2004, I moved to Florida in Dec 2004 then moved to new york in Jun 2006. I found this:

Either party has been a resident of the state for a continuous period of at least two years immediately preceding the commencement of the action. (Consolidated Laws of New York - Domestic Relations Laws - Article 13 - Sections: 230 and 231)
So does this means that I can file under PA laws or FL? I know Florida only requires about 6 months in the state to be able to file with them.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Couple more questions: you file a state tax return for which state? you hold a driver's license for which state? you can vote in which state?

TinkerBelleLuvr

I stand by my answer. You INTEND to be a New York resident. You have lived there for more than a year.

good luck cuz New York is really ugly for divorces. any kids?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">