• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Studen loan prior to marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mvmgo

What is the name of your state? CA
My husband had a very large student loan incurred prior to marriage. After the marriage we paid it off together over 5 years. Now, 15 years later, he's having an affair and we are divorcing. Can I be reimbursed for the money I spent on this debt incurred prior to marriage? I've been told that, since a college education contributes to value of the marriage, I won't get anything back. Is this the case?
Thank you very much for the service you provide.

hiken

Florida

That is probably the case for Florida. The loan repayment was voluntary and from marital funds. It appears to be a gift.

mvmgo said:
What is the name of your state? CA
My husband had a very large student loan incurred prior to marriage. After the marriage we paid it off together over 5 years. Now, 15 years later, he's having an affair and we are divorcing. Can I be reimbursed for the money I spent on this debt incurred prior to marriage? I've been told that, since a college education contributes to value of the marriage, I won't get anything back. Is this the case?
Thank you very much for the service you provide.

Last edited by a moderator:

JETX

mvmgo said:
Can I be reimbursed for the money I spent on this debt incurred prior to marriage?
Of course you can be reimbursed... if he agrees. There is NO legal obligation for him to 'repay' you for the debts that you JOINTLY paid... especially considering that the money was HIS also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">