• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

student loan and auto loan when divorce ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vapor

What is the name of your state? Minnesota
Hi, i don't know much about divorce....please help...
Currently, i don't have any debt besides the mortgage. However, she has a lot in her student loan and auto loan. I did not co-signed in her student loan ( her brother co-signed for her). The auto loan, she signed by herself. The loans incurred during the marriage. She's about the graduate from college. In case of divorce, do i have to carry half of her debt??
I did some research and found that the auto loan probably will be split in half ??? However, i could not find answer for the student loan.
Any help is much appreciated...Thanks

VeronicaGia

How long have you been married? The student loan is likely hers alone, but no one can tell you what a judge will decide.

LdiJ

vapor said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota
Hi, i don't know much about divorce....please help...
Currently, i don't have any debt besides the mortgage. However, she has a lot in her student loan and auto loan. I did not co-signed in her student loan ( her brother co-signed for her). The auto loan, she signed by herself. The loans incurred during the marriage. She's about the graduate from college. In case of divorce, do i have to carry half of her debt??
I did some research and found that the auto loan probably will be split in half ??? However, i could not find answer for the student loan.
Any help is much appreciated...Thanks
If she keeps the car, the auto loan will be her responsibility, not yours. I am pretty sure that the student loans are her responsibility as well. However, you should double check that with a local attorney to be certain.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">