• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stupid me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilly09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas. Been married 25 yrs but wanted out for the last 15. Did not push for it because of debt and knew that my husband could not pay for bills and child support. I have been a stay at home Mom for 90 % of the marriage, but it was by his request/demand. He has always insisted on dealing with the finances and bills by himself. He said that he could combine things and pay them off, but 15 yrs later we are still swimming in debt and have a home equity loan (used to pay off cc's and vehicle), loan against 401K and still lots of cc bills.I had inheritence that paid for all of the house except $13000, which has been paid.(except for that god awful home equity loan) The house was never intended as an investment since it is on land that has been in my family for 100+ yrs. Now he says that if I push for divorce now, I will have to take half the bills and pay him for half the house, can he do that when he gets to keep all the income? Since I have no recent employment history, I can't get a decent paying job.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas. Been married 25 yrs but wanted out for the last 15. Did not push for it because of debt and knew that my husband could not pay for bills and child support. I have been a stay at home Mom for 90 % of the marriage, but it was by his request/demand. He has always insisted on dealing with the finances and bills by himself. He said that he could combine things and pay them off, but 15 yrs later we are still swimming in debt and have a home equity loan (used to pay off cc's and vehicle), loan against 401K and still lots of cc bills.I had inheritence that paid for all of the house except $13000, which has been paid.(except for that god awful home equity loan) The house was never intended as an investment since it is on land that has been in my family for 100+ yrs. Now he says that if I push for divorce now, I will have to take half the bills and pay him for half the house, can he do that when he gets to keep all the income? Since I have no recent employment history, I can't get a decent paying job.
Yes, he would be entitled to 1/2 of the value of the house (but not the land that it sits on if that belongs to the family rather than specifically to you...and yes, you would be responsible for 1/2 of the marital debt.

However, based on the length of your marriage its quite possible that you could get spousal support.

I suggest that you get a job now, whether he likes it or not...you are going to need to save up for an attorney, if nothing else. There is also a possibility that a good attorney could have some of the equity in the home declared separate property as it was paid for by your inheritance...assuming that the inheritance money is traceable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">