• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

a stupid prob

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

daddy's onegirl

What is the name of your state? WI
I've been divorced about 8 years. The stupid part is a few years ago I found my div papers and noticed the date of our marriage is wrong. ( A stupid oversight on my part.)I have been sitting on this and never worried much about it.
Now I have become engaged to a wonderful guy and wish to marry him.
So now what do I do about all this?? Must I have this corrected by the courts?? Thanx

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I doubt it's a big deal. If it really bothers you, call the court clerk where your divorce was issued and ask. But I don't see it as a problem.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

daddy's onegirl said:
What is the name of your state? WI
I've been divorced about 8 years. The stupid part is a few years ago I found my div papers and noticed the date of our marriage is wrong. ( A stupid oversight on my part.)I have been sitting on this and never worried much about it.
Now I have become engaged to a wonderful guy and wish to marry him.
So now what do I do about all this?? Must I have this corrected by the courts?? Thanx

My response:

You have no idea how common this "problem" really is - - especially when men are the one's who do the filing. You know, they're the same men that can't even remember their own anniversaries, or your birth date, etc. It happens all the time.

An innocent, and incorrect, date of marriage on a person's Petition for Dissolution has no effect on your divorce. You're divorced. The court only uses that date for statistical purposes, and to gauge whether or not the marriage was "long term" and to measure spousal support.

Since it's been 8 years for you, there's no effect.

Go forth, my dear, and never again make another mistake in your life.

IAAL

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Re: Re: a stupid prob

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

You have no idea how common this "problem" really is - - especially when men are the one's who do the filing.
I recently found out my ex didn't have a clue on the date, either. He's up for either a renewal or an upgrade of his security clearance, and the DoD contacted me for an interview. Doncha know - he got the date of our marriage wrong. :rolleyes: Among other things. Heh.

D

daddy's onegirl

thanx

thanx for the input kids, just wish I wouldn't have made the mistake of marrying him in the first place:p but then I wouldn't have a great son:D
Thanx again!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: thanx

daddy's onegirl said:
thanx for the input kids, just wish I wouldn't have made the mistake of marrying him in the first place:p but then I wouldn't have a great son:D
Thanx again!!!

My response:

Kids?

My dear, I'm a crusty old fart, with a shriveled up, wrinkly old, "lavaliered thing."

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">